Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help! Jeep fires and runs but sounds like it misses

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help! Jeep fires and runs but sounds like it misses

Hey guys , i need help. So a couple months ago I was having a problem with my Jeep backfiring and when I put any throttle to it it get worse and worse and worse. So I decided what the heck I take it out rebuild it painted up after all I did have a 192xxx miles on it and a fresh rebuild wouldn't be a bad idea so did the rebuild got an aftermarket cam in it, fired it back up and it did the same thing as before. It has a slight backfire it seems like it's missing for some reason but the timing couldn't be more perfect. I have a new distributor new cap new rotor new plugs new wires. And I was at a loss so I had a friend of mine's dad come over who's the real mechanic Guru and he did the dollar bill test where you hold a dollar bill up to the exhaust to see if it sucks it back in and surprise surprise it did, therefore I let us to believe that the pushrods were too long so we measured the pushrods and they were indeed too long so I ordered new pushrods at the correct size and I just got done putting the pushrods in and it still has a slight misfire but doesnt suck any air in but when you try to put any throttle into it it wants to spit and sputter. I'm at a loss here and I'm really tired of throwing more money at this thing I need some answers and all the help I can get. I was wondering what you guys think that it might be I heard maybe the crank position sensor could be a problem that's the only thing that I haven't changed. everything else in the engine is pretty much brand new! Any input you guys have would be greatly appreciated. All I want to do is just go Wheeling with my Jeep again LOL
Old 04-11-2017, 07:06 PM

Oh and its a 98 xj with a 4.0 and aw4
Old 04-11-2017, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

I would first suggest using periods, commas, and paragraphs. This difficult to read and process.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the input, im sure periods , comma, and paragraphs will get my jeep running faster. Do u have any real input or you just here to correct peoples grammar and lack of correct punctuation? All i want is some positive input and the 1st comment i get is this smh
Old 04-11-2017, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by josherlikes24
Thanks for the input, im sure periods , comma, and paragraphs will get my jeep running faster. Do u have any real input or you just here to correct peoples grammar and lack of correct punctuation? All i want is some positive input and the 1st comment i get is this smh
Actually it will help your Jeep get running faster, when someone has to read a gigantic wall of text, attention spans wane. Some people won't even bother to read it.

Just a suggestion man, communication is key.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

so ? try cps huh. i hear about it and nothing definet about it failing.