Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help!! jeep cherokee really slow acceleration, oil pressure fluctuation,

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default Help!! jeep cherokee really slow acceleration, oil pressure fluctuation,

howdy

i was recently four wheeling with my jeep and the check engine light and check gauges light came on, so i stopped to check to see if every thing was okay, and every thing appeared to be in order. i started to drive home when i stopped at a light and when i started to accelerate b my jeep would barely move, when i got up to speed and took my foot off the accelerator the oil pressure dropped drastically and the battery volt shot up, when i would accelerate the oil pressure would increase back to normal this continued my hole way home, my only conclusion was a blown head gasket but so far there is no milky oil, no white exhaust fumes and i also checked all the spark plugs which had no green residue. i bought the jeep about two months ago and i have been putting coolant in it maybe once every two weeks i know i should have taken it to the mechanics but i have had no time , please tell me its not a blown head gasket before i rip the engine apart i love my jeep to much

thanks
Old 09-09-2010, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.o

#1 check cat converter # 2 maybe previous wasnt up to date with fluids poke around underneat for coolant leaks and on top of course
Old 09-09-2010, 07:44 PM

Year: 1998 limited
Engine: 6 cylinder 4.0

check fuel injector, Cherokee fuel injectors are known to wear out quickly,
i wouldn't worry about oil fluctuation, mine is all over the place, its just one of those character quirks that some cars has,
Old 09-09-2010, 11:25 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by king83
i wouldn't worry about oil fluctuation, mine is all over the place, its just one of those character quirks that some cars has,
Ive had my jeep for 2 months and just did my first oil change. For the first 100 miles or so the oil gage jumps all over the place. Its fine now but from time to time I see it do crazy things. It scares the hell out of me but the motor runs like a raped ape, so i dont worry. As for what king83 said, they do have a mind of there one.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:58 PM

Default ureka!

i took my jeep in to the shop for a diagnosis it turns out when i hit a huge puddle my alternator got soaked and stoped working , all it needed was to dry out for a few days and now my jeep works great , thanks for the help
Old 08-01-2013, 01:06 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: V-6 Inline

Originally Posted by XJ8892
Ive had my jeep for 2 months and just did my first oil change. For the first 100 miles or so the oil gage jumps all over the place. Its fine now but from time to time I see it do crazy things. It scares the hell out of me but the motor runs like a raped ape, so i dont worry. As for what king83 said, they do have a mind of there one.
My oil pressure gauge was doing the same thing. The oil pressure sending unit was leaking. Replaced it and it's doing just fine now.