Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help identify this grinding noise please. Have video

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help identify this grinding noise please. Have video

Ok newest update I am going to replace both the front calipers autozone near me has them instock anything wierd I should know?

ok I have determinded it is the brake pads rubbing on the rotor? Any ideas?

Hey guys a little back story. I just bought this jeep to turn into a weekend wheeler. I am not a super mechanic and the plans I have for this jeep are going to be the most technical I have been in auto repair.

So I bought this on Sunday and am going through all the parts checking it out and changing fluids lubing the steering and I had noticed a very quiet grinding noise when I was driving it so well I was lubing it I was spinning the wheels and picked up the noise again. I took a video of it to see if anyone could help identify it. It seems to be coming from both wheels but is more noticable on the passenger side. This part was pulled alittle away not sure if this needs to be seated all the way back or not? Thanks for taking a looking.

<<<Video link is here.

Last edited by Rearwardassist; 09-13-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

Wheel bearing?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:36 AM

Ok looking at the diagram that looks like a pretty easy thing to get to just remove the hub and its there right?
Old 09-12-2012, 01:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Might just be a brake pad rubbing slightly on the rotor. Hard to tell from a video. Remove the caliper and pads, set them aside and spin the wheel again.
You could stick a piece of plastic tubing in your ear and move it around, it'll help you pinpoint the noise source.

If you do need to change the wheel bearings, which I'm not yet convinced you do- change the whole hub assembly.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Radi
Might just be a brake pad rubbing slightly on the rotor. Hard to tell from a video. Remove the caliper and pads, set them aside and spin the wheel again.
You could stick a piece of plastic tubing in your ear and move it around, it'll help you pinpoint the noise source.

If you do need to change the wheel bearings, which I'm not yet convinced you do- change the whole hub assembly.
Awesome thanks Ill try taking the caliper off tomorrow when I get home from work and try that. Good Idea with the tubing.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:51 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Rearwardassist
Good Idea with the tubing.
It really does help you pinpoint noises.
Plus...if you stick the tubing in your ear while mimicking Mork from Ork, the neighbors will leave you alone for weeks.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:31 AM

Well took of the caliper and it is definitely less noise sounds like the shaft spinning and less grinding? Any ideas with the brakes the pads looks like they have quite a bit of life in them and they were replaced according to the POs paperwork 17,000 miles ago.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:34 AM

Im going to through some pics of the pads up when my phone stops crapping on me. They look glazed not sure if thats the correct term.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Caliper may be bad.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:12 AM

Here are some pics

Old 09-13-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Those look so new that, as indicated earlier, they might be dragging slightly on the rotor surface.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:31 AM

Default grinding noise

my 1998 Jeep Cherokee has been making a grinding noise nobody can find where it comes from. It is not wearing out tires, as I was told it would, it runs great, just made a trip from Texas to Norfolk Va with no other issues other than the noise. It feels like something is rubbing more as I back up than when going forward. It also feels like something is moving when it makes the grinding noise but there are no shavings anywhere and as I stated my tires are not wearing as a result of this. The 4 wheel drive was already disconnected when I bought it, I am wondering if it was doing it then and that is why they disconnected it yet did not tell me anything about it and they could not find a cause either. I travel a lot from Texas to Louisiana and even tho the noise seems to be growing, I have had no other issues with it at all. It was only doing it in reverse, now it seems to be doing it more when I turn curves or when I take off...any clues?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:07 PM

Okay so it is the brake pads rubbing on the rotor any ideas whats causing the to be lightly engaged? just from have newer pads seems odd to me.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

wheels hard to turn ?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:33 PM
CF Veteran

The pads only retract a tiny bit when you let off the brakes, they are normally just a hair's width off the rotor. Anything sticking in the caliper or piston can hold them up against the rotor enough to make noise. It isn't uncommon with brand new pads, esp. if the caliper pistons haven't been that far back in their bores for a while. The tiniest bit of rust or corrosion... worse if the dust seals are bad.

Quick Reply: Help identify this grinding noise please. Have video