Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help flush AC system

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Help flush AC system

Hey guys,
Well I just picked up my 2001 XJ from the shop and the compressor is bad. It is leaking from the pressure relief valve and front by the clutch. They quoted me 800 bucks to fix it including parts and labor. Well I politely declined. I had them evacuate the system for me and I'll replace the compressor, Dryer, and orifice tube myself with a AC kit from EBay for 200 bucks. My mechanic was really cool and told me what to do. He said he'll even let me borrow his quick disconnect tool for the lines when I need to. He recommended flushing the system once the dryer, orifice tube and compressor were removed. So my question is how to properly do this. Several searches here and on the net did not help much. So can anyone help me get these old worn parts off, system flushed and new stuff installed? I figure once I have all the parts replaced I'll take the truck back down to my mechanic and have him vacuum the system and re charge it for me. Thanks for any assistance.. A\C weather is coming up real quick
Old 05-18-2010, 05:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

To properly flush it..You need a/c flush.. its a liquid ya pour in the system and let it sit... most part stores carry it.. problem is.. to blow it out.. you need dry nitrogen....
Old 05-18-2010, 05:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

NAPA sells an A/C flush kit, not sure of the price. I've used brake cleaner and an air compressor with good results. The condensor will be the thing to flush the most, it will catch all of the crap first when a compressor craps the bed.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:25 PM
CF Veteran

moister is the number one thing you do not want in system... blowing with compressed air is fine.. as long as its filtered and not just your avrage shop or home system..... now.. if you will have him vacuum it @-28 for a hr or more.. then sure blow it with compressed air.. just make sure its filterd.. if its rained recently.. well.. dont do it..just replace the parts... dont leave the system open... get everything you need.. replace them close everything up... and get it vacuumed down and recharged...
Old 05-18-2010, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

I do have an air compressor it is nothing fancy 20 gal 5 hp. I have a in line filter to help filter out any moisture. However from reading some of these replies that might not be good enough. Should I clean out the evaporator? I have heard cleaning them may cause more problems because the solvent can sit in there and not get blown out. Also thinking it should be pretty clean since it is after the accumulator. I am guessing I am making this harder than it really is. I just want to be totally prepared and not screw anything up since this is my first time working on an AC system.
Thanks!
Old 05-18-2010, 10:49 PM
CF Veteran

heres the deal and its very simple.. when you take it apart... if its gray..the inside of the lines.. then the system is trashed... and has to be flushed... if the system is clean.. just oily from the refregerant ... then you are ok...