Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help, Engine stalling???

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Help, Engine stalling???

I really need help on this fellas. Everytime I go wheelin after about an hour my engine starts stalling. But it only stalls when I get turned sideways with my driverside lower than the passenger ( on a hill etc ). When it stalls it will not crank untill I get pulled back to flat ground then it fires right back up. I cannot figure this out, and I am going to URE in 2 weeks so I really need to get this fixed. Thanks in advance for all help.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:18 PM

Any suggestions??
Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0l I6

it could be the fuel system
Old 03-30-2010, 12:00 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: straight 6, 4.0 liter

when it dies and u go to start it back up does the motor turn over and it just doesnt start or the motor doesnt even crank till u get it back to flat ground?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:33 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

Originally Posted by got2lovethexj
when it dies and u go to start it back up does the motor turn over and it just doesnt start or the motor doesnt even crank till u get it back to flat ground?

agreed more info.

cause if you lose power completely and nothing happens it could be electrical also.

more info =]
Old 03-30-2010, 11:48 PM

When you go to restart it the engine just spins over, like it isn't getting fuel or fire but once it is moved to flat ground it fires right up and sputters then clears out. But it only happens once it has gets hot on the trail about 215 or 220 degrees.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:33 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

it sounds like fuel now.... almost like (just a theory) but a ballist was missing from your tank and when you tilt to that side the fuel runs away from the pump and it cant get any then you return to level ground and the fuel returns... i am not sure tho see if you can replicate it again and then check fuel pressure at the rail. if there is no pressure then by-golly thats the ticket! if it is getting fuel then on to testing something else. but dont replace parts until you know what it is
Old 04-05-2010, 09:01 PM

Well today I worked on this problem a bit more because it seems to be getting worse.
So far this what I can determine
It only starts stalling when I turn right or hit a large bump in the road
With a 1/4 tank of fuel and engine temp @ 210 every slight bump and right turn I took it stalled.
I checked every wiring harness connector from the engine bay to the fuel pump ( with jeep running to see if it would stall) nothing happened.
So I let it cool down and tried it again, I was flying around the yard in a circle to the right and was making the jeep lean I have my sway bar disconnected and it would not stall, until the temp got to above 200 or so.
Then I went and filled it completely up with gas and retried the test. And I had to really get on the gas and turn to make it lean so it is showing improvement from previous. Also now once it stalls or starts to die I can press on the gas a bit and it will catch back up instead of dying.
This sounds like more of fuel problem now I think maybe fuel pump or fuel regulator or baffles.
I'm not sure I'm just trying process of elimination and take whatever advice I can get to find the problem.
So any ideas or suggestions is much appreciated and needed.
Thanks guys.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:12 PM

Also it has seemed sluggish lately and gas mileage has gotten worse.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Cool

This may sound crazy , but listen up. The micron filter on the bottom of the fuel pump module is more than likely plugged up solid. When you have more than a 1/4 of a tank fuel can wash over the top of the module and keep the pump supplied with fuel, however when it goes below 1/4 the pump can't pull the fuel through the micron filter and the truck dies. Always replace these pumps with a complete fuel module....you should never go the cheaper route and replace just the pump. (Just my opinion on the matter(30 years worth ))
Old 04-05-2010, 10:17 PM

I am going to rent / borrow a fuel pressure tester in the morning to see if my furl pressure is falling when it stalls. Also the filter you are reffering to do you have to buy a whole new pump assembly to get that or could I just change the filter in the tank?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Cool

The fuel pump and in tank filter are all part of what is called a "fuel pump module". There are kits on the market that supply you with just the pump and the micron filter, BUT you have to carefully disassemble the module and carefully install the parts then reassemble (pia and time consumming). Replace with new module and your up and running fast.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:01 PM

Today I made a new discovery it only does it when the engine temp is around 210 or above. I installed a switch on my e fan and it is staying around 180 or so and I cannot get it to stall no matter how hard I turn or if I park in my ditch on a angle. But if I let the temp get hot it will stall every time. So now I am very confused because if it were the fuel pump or filter why does this problem only exist when the engine temp is around 210??
Old 04-06-2010, 11:38 PM

??
Old 04-07-2010, 12:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 2000 model year have heat soak issues. The fix is to wrap some heat wrap or "foil" around the number 3 cylinder (I think). Someone please chime in if I am mistaken.

Quick Reply: Help, Engine stalling???