Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HELP!!! Engine just fell out of jeep!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip
Default HELP!!! Engine just fell out of jeep!

so i went muddin pretty hard the other day and then the bracket that bolts to the block on the drives side, all 3 bolts broke and my engine fell down about 6 inches! so now it is being held up by the transmission mount, the passanger side engine mount, and my steering shaft that is pinched on the body. the bolts broke off on the head and are pretty much flush with the block. is there any way i can get these out so i can put new ones in...and anybody know what size these bolt are or where to get them?
Attached Images    
Old 12-18-2009, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

Has happen to me a couple of times,I was lucky that they just screwed out by hand,maybe tap on them with a hammer and screw driver or punch,if not you need to drill and remove with an easy out.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me just a few month ago. I couldn't get mine out by hand and I can't fit a drill in there to extract them so I had to do a little welding. Get a washer and a nut and weld those to the broken bolt. It is pretty much impossible to weld to cast so don't worry about welding to the actual block. Once its cooled just use a wrench and bring em out. Worked perfect for me.

check out the advice and pics I got here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...0382&highlight=

Also, when you are done I suggest getting a set of upgraded motor mount brackets from Brown Dog or Mountain Off-Road so this doesn't happen again. I got the Brown Dog ones and they are awesome.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:12 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

This is actually a somehwat common problem with the jeep 4.0. LIke posted thats the best way to get them out. There are plenty of companies offering replacement block plates.

Had a buddy in a YJ break his passenger side block to frame mount in half. This was back in the day when we thought it was cool to drive our jeeps to and from the trail. IT was a 6 hr delay rigging his rig so we could drive 3 hrs home.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: stock

been there done that . its not a hard fix https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/eng...t-bolts-12529/ there is a pic in 2nd post hit the link, thats the kind of tool i used so i could start the easy outs..people have chimed in on replacment bolts as well ... good luck mate...let us know how ya get on .....
Old 12-18-2009, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

so when i eventually do get these things out, should i use lock tight on the bolts? also is it a wise thing to change the passenger side bolts as well just to be safe, i mean this thing takes quite a beating and i cant have this happening again.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

I would just use some very good grade 8 bolts and maybe a little loctite,but if it happens again it will be a pain to get out if you use alot. For some reason the passengers side does not seem to be a problem,but why not replace them,it will not hurt.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

I wouldnt put loc tight on it... unless you plan on using studs. As pointed out.... if they break again you will not get them out without drilling them.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

X2 on not using the locktite....i would use a LOCK WASHER! and some grade 10 bolts if you can find them....
Old 12-19-2009, 01:55 PM

what they said, i didnt put locktite when i did mine...didnt do the other side, in saying that i have since learnt when fixing or changing something on the jeep if ya do one side ya may as well do the other side, ie axle seals and so forth...heres a pic of the three little critters after i drilled and used easyouts to get them out ..its not hard to do , just a bit tight in there.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:01 PM

if you do drill them , use a centre punch to start ..keeps drill centered.. ya dont want to go drilling on a angle....use smaller drill to start with, then go up a couple of sizes.......hope that helps...
Old 12-19-2009, 02:09 PM

Also. if you drill them....
Get some LEFT hand drills. Silver & Deming makes some, may be others, too.
Often the broken pieces will back out while being drilled. Don't forget to run the drill in reverse to make the left hand bits cut.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by MS Fowler
Also. if you drill them....
Get some LEFT hand drills. Silver & Deming makes some, may be others, too.
Often the broken pieces will back out while being drilled. Don't forget to run the drill in reverse to make the left hand bits cut.
i used these , seen better days but....easyouts we call them...
Old 12-19-2009, 04:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i call those left handed drill bits
Old 12-19-2009, 07:52 PM
CF Veteran

yea i just picked up some easy outs but my drill is having issues fitting up there, so i am gonna remove the tranny mount and lower it a few inches so i can get a strait shot at the bolts. also does anybody know where i can get good replacement bolts? can i get them locally or do i have to order them?

Last edited by trans_am7935; 12-19-2009 at 08:27 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Engine just fell out of jeep!