Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help! Engine dying while decelerating & steering vibs

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help! Engine dying while decelerating & steering vibs

So I bought a 98 lifted XJ 4.0 about a two weeks ago knowing that it had some issues that needed to be sorted out. Up until today I had been driving it around town here and there but today while I was driving it on the highway all of a sudden i started getting some bad vibrations coming from the front wheels I believe. When I bought the jeep the po had already installed a ZJ tie rod to accomodate for the 6.5 in lift and 31s but the steering wheel still had almost a 1/4 turn of play in it. So after some research I bought and installed a steering box bracket from JCR offroad thinking that would fix my problem, but it did nothing. After looking at the steering components today I noticed the actual box is leaking from the pitman arm seal. So my question is should I go ahead and replace the whole box or could it be something else causing this? If I do replace it I am planning on doing the durango box upgrade.
Also, while driving it today the engine died a few times in a row while I was stopped at lights. When I bought the jeep I replaced the plugs and wires so I'm assuming thats not the issue. This is the first time it has happened which is odd because the past 2 weeks while driving it the engine seems to run very well. So Im pretty lost on this whole ordeal. Any help and info is greatly appreciated being that I am new to jeeps here!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:30 PM

Model: Cherokee

Bump
Old 03-21-2013, 08:46 PM

I can try to help with the engine problems.