Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

help with cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default help with cooling system

i am trying to get my cooling system in shape the coolant looks dirty like the color or a coolant stop leak. I wanted to drain it but my drain plug after removing the grill i noticed that it wont come off no matter how much i turn it.

how will i drain it can i use the lower radiator hose (the one with the spring) also this hose feels weak this cant be a good thing. I think i weakened when i change my steering gear box (it was in the way of me installing the lines)

anyway where should i disconnect the hose to drain the coolant?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:48 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

I just did my cooling system and used this kit from AZ "Prestone/Professional Flush and Fill Radiator Cleaner Kit "
It cost $3.99 and back flushes the entire system out. When I got done my jeep ran a lot cooler...Tj
Old 04-07-2009, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by TrekkerJmm
I just did my cooling system and used this kit from AZ "Prestone/Professional Flush and Fill Radiator Cleaner Kit "
It cost $3.99 and back flushes the entire system out. When I got done my jeep ran a lot cooler...Tj

is it hard to do any thing i might need to kno
Old 04-07-2009, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

The only problem with this kits is they require that you hook up a water hose to your system. In other words, you're introducing mineral filled water into your cooling system when it's best to use distilled water.

IMHO the best way to flush a cooling system is to go buy 6 or 7 gallons of distilled water and two gallons of the brand of antifreeze you prefer and same brand radiator flush. Empty the system out by removing the lower radiator hose at the radiator. Put the flush in along with enough distilled water to fill the system. Let it run until it gets warm with the heater on full blast. Drain and repeat at least two more times until it's clear when you empty it. On the last fill put full strength antifreeze in it (there's already distilled water in the block) until it's full. Empty the overflow tank and clean it really good. Put a 50/50 mix or full strength in it. Watch the overflow tank because you'll have to add to it for a few days as the air gets out of the system.

That's the best way to do it and keep lime ridden water out of your system.

Last edited by robertj; 05-03-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:10 AM

that was a detailed description and its very easy to understand thanks the help is greatly appreciated. one thing though whats ridden water
Old 04-08-2009, 11:17 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L Power Tech I-6 Engine H.O.

lime ridden water is water with high concentration of calcium oxide (commenly known as lime).
Old 01-25-2011, 11:39 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.oL

Originally Posted by TrekkerJmm
I just bought the PEAK flush kit, but I'm not too sure about cutting my hose to install the flushing tee... did you have to do that with the Prestone one? Also did you use your garden hose or did you flush it with distilled water? I need to flush mine pretty bad, it's straight up nasty.