Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help-coolant leak,high oil pressure, electrical problems, and more

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 02:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help-coolant leak,high oil pressure, electrical problems, and more

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 6 cylinder

Not sure where to start. Here are the various problems.

1. The wire harness running from inside the driver door into the driver side of the car had damaged wires. I took the harness out, replaced all the wires. Power mirrors and windows now work. Power door locks do not. What do I check to fix this?
2. Before fixing the harness power locks would repeatedly and rapidly lock/unlock. I assumed this was due to harness wires shorting out. With the wiring harness removed the power locks are still locking/unlocking. Also, the remote to lock/unlock doors sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. What do I need to check/replace to fix the door locks?
3. I've driven the car without the wire harness in place, and twice in two days the battery has died and has had to be jump started. Any connection?
4. After the car warms up approx. a gallon of coolant leaks out. I can't tell if it's from a hose. The upper radiator hose is ok. The coolant drips onto the ground rapidly and is also thrown out by the fan. After a gallon leaks out the leak slows down alot but does not stop. The radiator is only two years old. The leak seems to be from somewhere around the top of the radiator. I see coolant running down but can't see where it's coming from. What now? Are there parts I can remove so I can get a better look at where the leak is?
5. I put two containers of that stop leak stuff in the radiator. Right after that the needle on the oil pressure gage went from the center position (40) up to 50, and stays there anytime the car runs. Why? I haven't done anything to the oil.

I'm baffled. All this has happened at about the same time. I'm a novice mechanic at best. Can't afford to take the car to a real mechanic. Any and all advice and suggestions will be much appreciated.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO

First off, you need to get that stop leak crap out of the cooling system. That stuff is no good, all it does is clog water passages in the block and head and causes over heating. As for the leak, Id bet your radiator is no good, probably a bad seal on one of the tanks or one or more of the tubes is damaged from something hitting the radiator and knocked a hole in it. This is possible even with a 2 year old radiator. As for your door locks, you have a short somewhere. Check the other door harnesses. Your remote, change the battery in it.