Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help Breathe Life into a '95 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help Breathe Life into a '95 4.0

My Cherokee has been sat unused for around 5 years & I've finally decided to part with it.

It hasn't been run at all in that time & although it turns over freely, there's no sign if it firing.

As someone with no mechanical aptitude whatsoever I'd appreciate some pointers as what to check & more importantly, how. There's no smell of petrol (sorry - gas!) in the engine bay even after sustained cranking of the starter. I guess one of the first things to establish is whether fuel is being delivered?

It's a UK RHD so please bear that in mind if referencing location of parts!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Rbz5416
My Cherokee has been sat unused for around 5 years & I've finally decided to part with it.

It hasn't been run at all in that time & although it turns over freely, there's no sign if it firing.

As someone with no mechanical aptitude whatsoever I'd appreciate some pointers as what to check & more importantly, how. There's no smell of petrol (sorry - gas!) in the engine bay even after sustained cranking of the starter. I guess one of the first things to establish is whether fuel is being delivered?

It's a UK RHD so please bear that in mind if referencing location of parts!
Crank Position Sensor. It's always the Crank Position Sensor....Cherokee doesn't start, it's the CPS. Girlfriend's ******** another guy...it's because of the CPS. (on the LHD models, it's up on the upper left side of the bellhousing, and the wires/plugs come up near the firewall to the upper left side of the engine near the throttle body.

AFARR