Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help 99 XJ pulling badly when accelerating.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Post Help 99 XJ pulling badly when accelerating.

Ok I searched and searched and found nothing that is close to my problem. I have a 99 XJ sport. I have been doing a lot of general maintenance on it, most recent was a new trany mount. The problem I am having is when I accelerate my jeep will pull violently right. when I let off the gas pedal to slow down in traffic it will pull left. I have a feeling something is not right in the rear axle. It is an 8.25 with a Detroit locker in it. I am used to all the funky things the locker does, noises etc. Does anybody have a clue what could be going on? On top of that problem, my exhaust is now hitting my crossmember when I turn left or accelerate hard form a stop. I am stumped Please help
Old 11-08-2011, 01:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Check your steering components. Its more likely involving the wheels that turn left and right as opposed to the wheels that don't.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Seasoned Member

I have checked steering every thing is working as it should. Why I think it is the rear end is when my locker engages and disengages it feels as though it is only giving power to one wheel causing it to pull. But thanks for the input I will double check steering to be sure.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:37 PM
CF Veteran

Considering the factory rear end is an open diff and typically gives power to only one tire anyway, I doubt that's the problem.

Unless your rear end got bent out of alignment, the pulling has NOTHING to do with one tire getting more power than the other.

By 'checked everything and it is working as it should' what do you mean?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

How did you check, and what all was checked?

Just cuz the wheels turn when you turn the wheel doesn't mean everything is fine.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Seasoned Member

I checked as many of the moving components in the steering as a could find. The fluid, the ball joints, track bar, Tie rods, steering stabilizer, even checked the knuckles. I am not a mechanic I am a body tech so some of this is new to me.

As for the rear end I get what you are saying. That is why I am stumped it does not feel like It is steering though.

Last edited by hearsedriver; 11-08-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:33 PM
CF Veteran

How about control arm bushings?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I've run across this problem a few times.
Check the U Bolts holding the springs to the axle. If there are loose and you have torqued them down previously when you installed your lift, do yourself a favor and get new ones. cheap insurance. I've seen the results of a rear end coming out from under a truck on the highway. Not pretty.
BTW, it'll even pull to one side with a locker for some reason. IDK why.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:52 PM

Year: 1996

I have a Detroit in mine as well, and while it does make itself known on accel and decel, it isn't "violent", as the OP states. I agree with Jamie on the u-bolts, but also check the bolts and bushings for the leaf springs in addition to the control arm mounts up front. Can you feel it pulling left and right through the steering wheel? If so, I'd concentrate on the front end.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Seasoned Member

I will get new U Bolt's this weekend. As for feeling it through the steering wheel its very minimal but I can patricianly correct when it does happen or I know I am going to have to change speed etc. I plan on doing new bushings soon and with that new grease and going for stronger control arm mounts I have welded mine up several times now. Thank you all for your input I will look it to it more this weekend and see what is going on.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L 6 CYL

It could be the locker has an issue i ran a detroit and it gave the same feeling you decribed i noticed it on a couple long steep hill climbs at first like only the right tire was pulling and the same on accel/decel. I thought it was broken so i popped the cover and check things the beast i could and made sure all bolts that deal with the rear were tight and put in new fluid and for what ever reason it was gone and drove normal from then on.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by MUDRUNNER AZ
It could be the locker has an issue i ran a detroit and it gave the same feeling you decribed i noticed it on a couple long steep hill climbs at first like only the right tire was pulling and the same on accel/decel. I thought it was broken so i popped the cover and check things the beast i could and made sure all bolts that deal with the rear were tight and put in new fluid and for what ever reason it was gone and drove normal from then on.
I may have to take a look at it. Thanks
Old 11-10-2011, 09:40 AM

Year: 97

u joint on front axle might be bound up.... ("knuckle joint") they are about an hour per side to change and <$20 ea to buy the better quality ones.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:46 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

my 97 did this when i had an aussie locker in the 8.25. it didnt do it at first but after a few months, mine turned out to be bad bushings in the leaf springs. air pressure in tires all the same?
Old 11-10-2011, 11:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: Several

Called Torque Steer.
Something is loose - u bolts, broken spring leaf, etc. Especially when you say """"""my exhaust is now hitting my crossmember when I turn left or accelerate hard form a stop."""""
Nothing back there should move.

Try spraying a thin coat of black paint on the suspected areas, then drive it a few miles. When something shifts, it scrapes the pain off - easy to see.

Quick Reply: Help 99 XJ pulling badly when accelerating.