Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HELP! 89 cherokee

Old 06-05-2011, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default HELP! 89 cherokee

i have a 89 cherokee 4.0 brake lights ,turn signals dont work fuel gang is pegged passed full alternator not charging battery ALSO WHEN I DISCONNECT BATTERY TERMANIL engine dies right then. Things i have tried already are as follows new alternater checked all fuses under driver side dash checked what fuses i found under hood checked the fuses under the glove box checked the three lil black relays on the passgenr side near the battery all these things worked fine last week is this a bad relay i have missed or a bad ground some where has any one every gone thru this crap
Old 06-05-2011, 05:40 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

Ballist resistor???
Old 06-05-2011, 07:18 PM

forgive my ignorense what is that and where is it located
Old 06-05-2011, 07:28 PM

i looked up the ballist thing and that seems to have to do with the fuel pump would that effect charging
Old 06-05-2011, 10:24 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

HOLY CRAP! that's a lot to swallow. Really sounds like grounding issues. Is the batter y charging when its running? Hook up a volt meter make sure you didn't get a dude alternator. Actually did you just get this jeep or have you had it and it just stopped working?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:23 AM

i got the jeep about a month ago every thing seem to work fine on it first thing i did was put a new battery in it but it got completely drained so i exchanged it for another new one and then had az check my alternater it was showing 12 on that meter they had so i went home pulled the battery terminal off while it was running it died right then so i went and bought a new alt. and put it on and im still getting the same reading of 12 my next project is to replace the wiring between the alt. and battery. but still dont under stand the other issues im having
Old 06-06-2011, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4L I6

How's the condition of your wires? None are frayed or worn out
Old 06-06-2011, 01:01 PM

i havent got to check all the wires but im kinda at a loss that stuff is above my head i did replace the battery terminals im thinking of buying a multimeter but im not sure how to use one or what im looking for exactly but thankyou every one for help and keep the ideas coming
Old 06-06-2011, 01:22 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: The venerable 4.0

I had some of those Problems but my brake lights.kept blowing a fuse. Something was grounding out in the actual housing. Sounds like you might have got a bed alternator. It happens but ya check the wires. DEFINITELY GO OVER GROUNDWORK THAT'S WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO ME!
Old 06-06-2011, 04:00 PM

i was looking at the wiring under my hood noticed my neg battry cable had some chewed up spots on the insulation and the end that connetcs to the engine block looks all cracked on the insulation part so i will replace the whole wire and see if that works
Old 06-06-2011, 06:04 PM

well i replaced the neg battery cable and it did not fix the charging prob the jeep still dies when i disconnect the positive battery tremnial and the alternator is just been replaced two days ago anybody got any more ideas
Old 06-07-2011, 09:35 PM

just replaced my stater relay and still my battery wont charge. i want to take hammer to my jeep but then i will have more crap to fix FUSTRATED!!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 10:47 PM

my buddy sugessted a GM one wire altenator to try to fix it we just have to make a braket for it has anyone done one of these before let me know how it worked for you
Old 06-09-2011, 04:49 AM

fuel gauge is probably unrelated. It gets gets messed up because of ethanol in gas, live w/ it or replace the fuel pump. You need to check the battery voltage while engine runs with a volt meter ( should be 15). I dont think that an engine will run w/ the terminal removed because the circuit is incomplete. it will run w/ a dead batt but not a disconnected battery. If its still not charging and its a new alt I have another trick, let me now. Check the brakelight connector above the brake bedal, mine got kick apart causing the brake and turn lights to fail in the back. Your turn signal lights might need to be individually regrounded also. Give me an update-
Old 06-09-2011, 05:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Fireman Brad
i got the jeep about a month ago every thing seem to work fine on it first thing i did was put a new battery in it but it got completely drained so i exchanged it for another new one and then had az check my alternater it was showing 12 on that meter they had so i went home pulled the battery terminal off while it was running it died right then so i went and bought a new alt. and put it on and im still getting the same reading of 12 my next project is to replace the wiring between the alt. and battery. but still dont under stand the other issues im having
buy a test light see if theres 12 volts to alt ,clean all ground wires and reinstall there by the oil dip stick ,driverside rear cyl head to fire wall and battery to fender

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! 89 cherokee