Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help!

Newbie here. I need some helpful insight or ideas. Got a 96 XJ, have had it for about 9 years, got it when I was 16. Has the straight 6, 5 speed, 4x4. About to roll over 304K. Have done all maintenance and repairs myself, but Im not sure whats up with it now.The front driver side tire is wearing on the inside and has started cupping.When traveling around 55mph it vibrates or wobbles bad. Seems to start this vibration after I go around a right hand corner. I have an idea of the possibilities but I was hoping someone could pinpoint something for me. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-25-2009, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to CF and to the aggravating world of death wobble. DW can be caused by a wide range of worn out parts in the front suspension and steering system. Check all of the components for excessive play and replace as needed. You may end up replcing several things before you find the culprit, but with 304K on the clock new parts can be a preventative for additional issues.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

Maybe its the bad tire that`s causing the wobble ...Move it to the back and put one of the fresher rear tires on the front and see if it still does the same thing in the front end..If so then maybe wheel bearing or shock?
Old 10-25-2009, 09:22 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Programbo
Maybe its the bad tire that`s causing the wobble ...Move it to the back and put one of the fresher rear tires on the front and see if it still does the same thing in the front end..If so then maybe wheel bearing or shock?

Good point if only one tire is wearing out abnormally. It could be a broken belt in the tire.