Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

help

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Angry help

I have 1993 cherokee wih 4.5 inch lift with 32X 11.5 NEW good years REPLACED D/C 31X 10.5. I HAVE DITROT LOCKER IN REARno sway bars Whin I am off Road IN THE ROCKS AND DIRT eveyThing is fine. When I am driving on pavement and hit pot hole. The font end goes crazy I have it in the shop and can' find anything woreout in fount end nothing bad font end is in alinment caster good camber 11 degrees max is 9. They eplased track ar end. Sory aboutr typing and spelling I am rcovering from stroke and thas is last to come back\\\\\. I had xj out this week end and prformed grate. ut when I ot back home with it.this problem came up. The shop Can't find anything. HELP
Old 09-15-2009, 08:06 PM

Year: 90

welcome to DW (death wobble) there are alot of diff things that cause it. one is improper alignment of track bar and drag link mounting points. another is bad/worn tie rod ends, track bar bushings, ball joints, control arm bushings, and castor problems. there are many diff reasons. sometimes it dont even haveto be lifted i have found reports of it on brand new vehicles drivin off the lot. somepeople have spent as little as 15 to 25 bucks to fix it andas much as one guy spent 10,000 on new lift and all custom stuff to get it to quit. its just trail and error to find what it is and fix it. have found new bigger better steering dampners make it go away but they are just coverin up the problem not fixin it.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:12 PM

the main being the track bar and and drag link mounting point all bein in a straightline
Old 09-16-2009, 12:02 AM

WELL I DON'T THINK IS TACKING BAR AND DRAG LINK A FONTEND SPECELIST IS CHECKING IT OUT AND HE CAN NOT FIND A THING WE DID REPLACE TACKING BAR ROD END END AND CHECKED ALL THE IE ROD ENDS VERY LITTLE PLAY I DON'T THINK A NEW STEARING DAMPER WILL OVER THIS UP BUT I NOT NOT ABOVE REPLACING IT tHIS XJ IS NOT MY DAILY DIVER. ITIS BING USED BECAUSE MY DAILY DIVER IS DOWN.ITHAS NEVER GVEN ONE ONCE OF PROBLEM OFF ROAD.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:09 AM

i was lost on mine till i had somethin that built this type of a setup on a daily basis show me where my problem laid as soon as i got that takin care of i had no more problems.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Crazy, I've just five words for you. RE-INSTALL THE FRONT SWAY BAR!!! If you're going to be doing any high speed driving in your XJ whether on or off road, you need your front sway bar connected or this kind of thing will happen. I always have the front sway bar connected when driving on road. I have to take it easy when blasting down the logging roads in between trails. Every little dip and washboard wants to throw my XJ off the road when the sway bar is disconnected, too.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:07 AM

I HAVE EN RUNNING WIRHOUT A SAY BAR FOR AYEAR AND NEVER HAD ANY POBLEMS. I HAVE ALSO BEEN RUNNING THIS SET UP WITH SMALLAER TIRES I HINK SOMETHING BROKE OR WORE OUT.I AM AT MY WITS END.I have checkd out every thing any my font end peson has checked out it also wih no results I need help with this poblem. I am suree someone has had to deali wth this and found something not so obvious. I know what caues this like worn ot ball joints and taking bars camber misulined andall odhat I need some real advice on this onei t is cositng a lot of money shooting in he nd paying someone to shooti in the dark also. help help help
Old 09-16-2009, 06:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Do a search for DEATH WOBBLE, been coverd a lot recently.

Please use the spell check feature too.