Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default HELP!

I just finished up lifting my 99 xj last wednesday, got tires mounted balanced and an alignment done on friday, took it on a 800 mile road trip today and I have some things i need to address.

Suspension:

MOOG Tie Rods (3)
MOOG Sway Bar Bushings
MOOG Sway Bar Link Kits
MOOG Track Bar Bushings
MOOG Ball Joints
MONROE HD Steering Stabilizer
MONROE Front SensaTrac Shocks
MONROE Rear HD Shocks w/ride height spring
DORMAN (amazon) replacement rear leaf springs
DAYSTAR 3/4" Front Spring Spacers

99" Stock Wrangler Wheels & 31" Mastercraft AXT tires

The truck lifted about 2 full inches in the rear and 1 1/2 inch in front.

The 31" surprisingly fit very well. I needed to do a little trimming in the wheel well plastic but other then that they are good.

THE ISSUE:
from 34-50mph all the way to 70-75mph there is a vibration coming from the driveline. I know the 96 and laters are more prone to have some drive shaft vibrations with any lift but I guess from what I read I thought I would be safe with such a small lift. WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST I DO?

SECOND ISSUE:
the car had a fresh oil change, after the 800mile road trip yesterday i noticed a leak of oil coming from bottom of engine. engine burnt through 1qt. Thats a little much since i usually burn through 1qt in 3000miles. Is there anyway that a lift could cause some sort of oil leak???

THIRD ISSUE:
since the lift I have had a burning plastic smell coming from the rear end of the car. is there anything I should be looking for? remember that the rear end was lifted about 2" barely.

I appreciate all the feed back!!!
Old 03-24-2015, 08:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Issue 1: get an SYE

Issue 2: could be a lot of things leaking.. Clean the engine and look for a leak. If you really want to make it easier add some dye and you'll be able to spot it. I'm going to guess rear main seal or pan gasket.

Issue 3: the burning smell usually is caused by an axle seal
Old 03-24-2015, 09:19 AM

great!

#1 - I will have to do some research, is it okay to drive with out one for a bit?

#2 - ill do a leak test. could the lift have caused it to happen?

#3 - axle seal? into the differential? or into the wheel hub? will this cause any more of an issue.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Pudge23
great! #1 - I will have to do some research, is it okay to drive with out one for a bit? #2 - ill do a leak test. could the lift have caused it to happen? #3 - axle seal? into the differential? or into the wheel hub? will this cause any more of an issue.
yes it'll be ok.. If you want to go cheap and easy you could do a t - case drop. I don't recommend it because it twists the motor slightly but I think you'd be ok with it.

I doubt it would've been caused by the lift, probably just happened at this time by chance.

The axle seal on the side where the axle shaft goes in. This should be fixed ASAP, it can be limped for a short while but i would look it soon. If there's gear oil on the brake components, replace the brakes as well.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:24 PM

Thanks!