Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

help

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7 H.O.
Question help

I was given a 96 SE with 115xxx miles, needed brakes, springs, suspension work, etc. It ended up with a 3 inch lift and new brake system all the way around. Then, after getting it ready to drive, and realizing soem of the electrical doesnt work, I found that the heater plug is melted, story I get is someone who didnt know much put an aftermarket stereo in and it smoked after 3 days. Now im discovering an issue with over heating and the temp sensor not working. Anyone know where I should start. Also got a question about the suspension. The jeep was beat, hence everything it needed. The lower control arm mount, drivers side, was bent from curb hopping in the snow. I got an aftermarket and welded it on. The steering wheel was upside down from what I thought was the bent control arm mount, but after putting the new one on, its still turned about 120 degrees when ther wheels are straight. Where should I start? Oddly, it still drives straight, no pull.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:40 PM
G_P

Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O

If you have a puller you can just remove the steering wheel and put it back on straight. somebody may have removed the column or steering shaft at one point and didnt care if it was straight when they put it back in.

On the other issue hackjob wiring can cause all sorts of trouble when it shorts out. Look over all the dash and underhood wiring carefully looking for taped joints that are coming apart or any burned/melted wiring.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:02 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7 H.O.

no actually, the steering wheel did a 180 flip when he hit the curb, i remember he came to me the next day and asked me to look for anything out of place because of it. I looked then and had it on a lift last week, still havent found a cause. As for the wiring, it is all in dash, the guy hooked the stereo in to the original spot, im wondering if you know where the fusible link that runs to the heater, stereo, dome light, glove box and anything else I havent found yet is, I think that is the problem since I found dead circuits in the fuse box.