Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default help!

So at the moment, my jeep will start but will not keep a consistent idle, the entire body of it is shaking uncontrollably. This all started when I was driving down the highway and with my foot on the gas, I noticed I wasn't moving anymore, so I floored it and still didn't move anywhere, the only thing it did was start smoking alot out the back. So i got home and took the throttle body and air filter off hoping it had something to do with those since I have massive blowby, cleaned everything and put it back together and I think it's even worse now. If i open the oil cap with it running, it's pushing out ALOT of air and smoke, it's always smoked but never blew air out like that, I have bad rings so it's always smoked out of the tail pipe a little, but now it wont stop. I've checked all of my ccv hoses and those are all fine. it runs, but there's no way I could drive it with the way it's idling. has anyone else had these problems before? and of course this all happened once I got some nice big tires on my jeep :[

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:27 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter
Default poor idle and smoke

this has happen to me be for the frist thing i did was check my distributor a lot of times in the older cherokees the distributor has a pick up coil in it and it causes the distributor to misread and not fire properly the best way to fix it is to go buy new wires plugs cap rotor button and the distributor it shouldnt run over 80 bucks for all the parts.

grab you a manual from parts store if you dont have one haynes is the best it has all the info you will need to change it out and to get the timeing right its a hard little job but take your time and youll get it

this fixed mine and it runs like a bran new motor good luck bro
Old 10-22-2011, 03:06 PM

well I just pulled off the cap, and my rotor button isn't facing the #1 cylinder. but my timing is non adjustable. should it be facing anything but the #1 cylinder?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:29 AM

nevermind my last reply, I found out that's not the case. But I did have someone tell me that their jeep did the exact same thing when their catalytic converter clogged up. Do my symptoms sound like it could be that? Would it still be my cat even if my tailpipe is blowing out alot of air and smoke?