Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Helluva Wobble

Old 02-25-2013, 01:57 PM
ESU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Helluva Wobble

Gents,
I did a search for wobbles and shimmies and came across "death wobble" but most seem to apply jeeps with a lift kit. I have a stock 89 wagoneer limited. Last weekend I took a ride for about 12 miles at 65mph no problems. On the return trip when I hit 65 the dam thing started to shake like it was going to fall apart. Under 60 or so it runs fine. Got home and did a quick look see and saw nothing obvious. Brought it to my mechanic and he found nothing obvious either. We wound up re-balancing both front tires but that didnt help. So now Im trying to figure out my next step. Any chance it could be a tire? Or anything anyone can think of to point me in a direction? Appreciate the help. Oh, car has 96k miles, 4.0 liter. Thx, Cory
Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ESU
Gents,
I did a search for wobbles and shimmies and came across "death wobble" but most seem to apply jeeps with a lift kit. I have a stock 89 wagoneer limited. Last weekend I took a ride for about 12 miles at 65mph no problems. On the return trip when I hit 65 the dam thing started to shake like it was going to fall apart. Under 60 or so it runs fine. Got home and did a quick look see and saw nothing obvious. Brought it to my mechanic and he found nothing obvious either. We wound up re-balancing both front tires but that didnt help. So now Im trying to figure out my next step. Any chance it could be a tire? Or anything anyone can think of to point me in a direction? Appreciate the help. Oh, car has 96k miles, 4.0 liter. Thx, Cory
You can also get the death wobble on a stock Jeep not only a lifted ones. You need to go through all of the front suspension components to find the problem. I you pull up the search that you did for the death wobble it will tell you exactly what to look at. Good luck and keep us updated on what you find.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Read:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/di...-wobble-55021/

And check every component referenced in the write up
Old 02-25-2013, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go through all the steering and front suspension, check to see what has play in it, and replace everything worn out. Might need someone to sit in the Jeep and turn the wheel back and forth while you look to see what has play under it. Something is worn out though, thats for sure.
You can definitely get death wobble on a stock Jeep, trust me. Im battling wobble on mine, but mine appears to still have all the original parts at 245,000 miles, previous owners didnt maintain mine.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 AM
ESU

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
Read:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/di...-wobble-55021/

And check every component referenced in the write up
Thx for that link. After reading it I recall that I did hit a bump before it started the chain reaction so at least I know Im not alone in this. I had one tire balanced so will now do the other. Also, Im a jeep noob although I now own 2 so please help me out here a sec. I see references to "track bar"? Is this the arm that goes from the frame to the front axle? For additional background, I bought his jeep for 350 bux, the problem was that arm that goes from the frame to the front axle had actually ripped through the mount when the po slammed on the brakes. I bought a replacement mount from quadratec and had it welded on. The article also made mention of hole enlargement causing a problem but the link to the article is dead. Im wondering if because the drivers side mount had worn through maybe the pass side mount is a mess also? Will look at that this weekend. If it is the mount does it pay to replace both arms?

disregard, I looked up track bar, I was talking control arm.

Last edited by ESU; 02-26-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:21 PM
ESU

OK, had both front tires balanced and had an alignment done yesterday. Took the jeep for a ride today and at anything above 55-57 it starts. Because traffic was a little heavy I was a little nervous bringing on full blown wobble but I could feel it starting. I tried to really pay attention and it seemed like the feeling was more in the seat of my pants not the steering wheel? That make sense? Also I will post the alignment results, the mechanic said I had an issue with the right front, maybe something bent but he didnt think that would cause my wobble, just uneven tire wear. Any suspension gurus out there that could weigh in? Appreciate the input, thx, Cory.
Attached Thumbnails Helluva Wobble-scan0001.jpg  
Old 03-05-2013, 12:34 PM
ESU

Anyone? Thoughts on the alignment>?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Check your control arm bushings, ball joints, rotate your tires...report back.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.o

Originally Posted by ESU
Anyone? Thoughts on the alignment>?

I responded to your other post imaptient one. as yoda would say... "Offended you are? a **** i don't give."
Old 03-05-2013, 12:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

How many posts are you going to make?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Closed other thread..
You only need one.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990

Lift it off the ground on jack stands and let the front suspension sag and start pulling and pushing on wheels and tires and see what is loose.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Oh....just I've set toe-in on allot of cars, (even toe-out on one Audi)(All my own or "in the family") I've seen the Jeep spec of O*, and that's about what you got. I just don't like it! Say 1/8 of an inch toe-in at the tread of a 15 will provide a little genital pressure to keep any clearance in the steering linkage from setting a feedback/wobble, without excessive tire wear. Of course it's not my place to question tried and true Jeep engineering, but I'd almost expect a wobble at zero unless every component was rock solid, from one wheel bearing to the other.

The shop should have caught any play, I think sometimes that's where they make real $, changing parts. Before going back I'd be darn sure it's not an issue with wheel balance. Makes a "night and day" difference when that's dead on.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 03-05-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:29 PM
ESU

Originally Posted by Agent_Oragnge
I responded to your other post imaptient one. as yoda would say... "Offended you are? a **** i don't give."
Sorry, I know at times people dont follow up on old posts or threads thats the only reason I posted a new thread. Yours was the answer I was looking for in regards to the printout. Thank you.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:34 PM
ESU

Hopefully the weather co-operates this weekend at least a little. I'll rotate the tires myself this weekend and as long as its on jackstands I'll see what if anything is loose. I appreciate the responses and tolerance of my impatience.
As for the caster, 6.8 as opposed to 7 is OK?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Helluva Wobble