Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hello i need your help guys.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy Hello i need your help guys.

My mother has a Jeep Cherokee Laredo 1997 and it doesnt say anything like Check Engine but when it is running it just turns off the rpm dorp to 0 and cuts off and it also shakes a little when it happens if you guys can help me and my mother any way you can just list any ideas you guys have.
Thank you
Old 11-03-2009, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by HelpingFamily
My mother has a Jeep Cherokee Laredo 1997 and it doesnt say anything like Check Engine but when it is running it just turns off the rpm dorp to 0 and cuts off and it also shakes a little when it happens if you guys can help me and my mother any way you can just list any ideas you guys have.
Thank you
Give a little more information on the jeep. How many miles, has anything been done to it? Has it been brought to a mechanic lately? Did this happen all the sudden or over time? Try to give as much information as you can.

It sounds alot like an exhaust sensor issue. How well does it run when it is cold? How long will it run until it dies?
Old 11-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

See if anyone backs me up on this but im guessing its either your fuel filter, CPS, Cat, or MAP.

anymore info you can give would help. rough idle? bad acceleration? how many miles? anything
Old 11-03-2009, 04:15 PM

well ok i dont know anything about cars and what my dad just told me is that it has a new engine a new trany and he thinks its a sensor. The car runs fine it just has the problem that it stops. Also what does CPS, Cat, or MAP mean? He just told me its 6 in line. Sometimes when we turn it on it turns off right alway sometimes it can run fine all day with out any problem it has like no timing on this.

Last edited by HelpingFamily; 11-03-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:26 PM

Year: 1990

Does is start back up right off after or have to sit a while?
How long ago did they put the tranny in? when i put my new one in i didnt zip tie the CPS to the firewall and it melted i would check that or the MAP sensor.
CPS = Crank Position Sensor. it is a sensor that sits on bellhousing of tranny and runs up to a plug behind the throttle body.
MAP = manifold absolute pressure sensor. its on the firewall is a little flat top lookin sensor with a plug and vaccume hose in bottem of it
My jeep is a 90 so they might be in different spots than your 97 not sure there
Old 11-03-2009, 07:53 PM

Sometimes it starts back up and other times it just sits there for a while and now that i know what the MAP is my dad just told me that a f irend of his had the same problem and fixed the MAP and it fixed the problem. Do we have to go to the dealer ship to get a new MAP? Thank you for the support guys
Old 11-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

Well to have the stealership replace the MAP or CPS its going to cost a lot. MY CPS didn't throw a code and the dealership said it would be $300 for the part, labor, and diagnostics. You could go to some autopart store and sometime they will do free diagnostic. I know my local shop will for free. Just call around saying you think its either or. If you sound like you know what your talking about then they might not take you for a $300 ride.