Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hello to forum i'm new and really need some brake help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Hello to forum i'm new and really need some brake help

How's it going guys. I'm a proud owner of a 1989 jeep cherokee. My jeep is fully loaded.. power everything and has ABS!! That's the problem... for awhile my pedal would be hard as hell as soon as i started the truck n figured the booster was going bad but it would work fine 2 minutes after start. Now it's hard all the time.. anyway i'm looking at new unit's and there crazy priced. I've done some home work and see some people swap out the abs. My question is what would be easer? Finding a decent priced abs and booster or swap out for the non abs?? Keep in mind I work at a motorcycle shop and work on them alot but car's i'm so so at. Basicly big involved job's i want to stear clear of or pay someone to do. Or does anyone out there have any part's for sale that might fix my problem?
Old 11-29-2008, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer

look up the grand cherokee booster swap... see if it helps ya out. its cheaper
Old 11-29-2008, 12:13 PM
CF Veteran

this may help
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/showth...ght=brake+swap
Old 11-29-2008, 12:46 PM

wow thank's guys that was quick. Anyone know anything about the recall on that year and model? I just got off the phone with jeep about the recall i've read about. It has to do with the booster and ****. Anyway there going to recall a bunch of stuff now i'm just crossing my fingers hoping that fixes the problem
Old 11-29-2008, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by motoxpete
wow thank's guys that was quick. Anyone know anything about the recall on that year and model? I just got off the phone with jeep about the recall i've read about. It has to do with the booster and ****. Anyway there going to recall a bunch of stuff now i'm just crossing my fingers hoping that fixes the problem
keep us updated on what you find out. oh and i have no life so i responded quick
Old 11-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: Gone but not forgotten

Not a real booster on that one should look like a small grenade black in colorright next to the master cylander. If this is yours then thier should be a recall on the ABS pump. I took mine in for that they had my Jeep for a month waiting for the part that has to be made one at a time. After all that the brakes are still weak as can be. Oh well its a Jeep thing.......
Old 11-30-2008, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by xj4life2
Not a real booster on that one should look like a small grenade black in colorright next to the master cylander. If this is yours then thier should be a recall on the ABS pump. I took mine in for that they had my Jeep for a month waiting for the part that has to be made one at a time. After all that the brakes are still weak as can be. Oh well its a Jeep thing.......
yeah that's exactly what mine looks like. Kinda look's like a 8 ball behind the master. See in my jeep whatever assist the brake with pressure is shot. Brake pedal is hard as hell but will stop the truck if you double foot it. I hope whatever they do with the recall it at least fixes that problem. My truck's not lifted YET! so when the brake's work normal there fine... but i plan on a 4.5 lift soon with 33's. I'll keep ya guy's posted... thank's for the help i knew some fellow cherokee owners would be willing to help a brotha out