Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

hella 500 light install

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default hella 500 light install

well I just got done wriring my hella 500's but i've run into a snag after spaeking to the sales assoc. at radio shack today i realized that i have to connect the acc as well other wise my lights stay on always. can someone who has installed these hella 500's on their jeep before give me a walk through on how they wired the switch, did you use all three conncetion pins
Old 11-12-2009, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

according to the directions you should wire it to the headlights so it can be turned on only with the headlights on... it's your choice on what you wire it to... I wired mine to a live wire so I can turn it on anytime and being that the switch is lit I never forget to turn them off... I don't really use them that much anyway... but wiring them like the way I did lets me turn them on even when I don't have any lights on... you can wire it to an ignition switched source and then it would go off whenever you shut the vehicle off... anyway, I did use all three posts... one wire is a ground, one goes to the relay to trigger it, and the other wire is your choice... it can go to a live wire, parking light wire, headlight wire, highbeam wire or a switched ignition wire... it just sends power to the relay to trigger it so any one you choose wouldn't be bad... just depends on how you want it to work...