Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Heater Core

Hello ALL --
I am trying to shop online for a heater core for my 98 classic.
I would like to use amazon prime as the shipping will be free, but I am confused about a listing.
Is there different heater cores for a Cherokee with AC and a Cherokee without AC? I found a Ready-Aire #0399233 that is Amazon says will not fit in a with AC cherokee. BUT - on the same page is a Vista Pro Automotive #399233 Core that Amazon says will fit a AC Cherokee.
The part numbers are the same (although one does have a leading zero).
When I search on other parts websites, there is often no mention of the Air Conditioning question.
So the main question is ---1. Are there different heater cores for with and without AC Cherokees? 2. Anyone recommend a brand of heater core?

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2011, 04:59 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Don't know if there is any difference between the AC/ Non-AC. However when I did my heater core on my 99 in Feb. I bought an aftermarket heater core from Oreilly's. Once I removed the Dash and split the HVAC case. I removed the factory core and attempted to install the aftermarket in its place. Only problem was the aftermarket was just a bit to large, I wasn't able to put the two case halves back together properly. What I ended up doing was have the factory one re-cored. Don't remember how much it was, but the guy said the factory one does a lot better job of heat transfer due to smaller fins.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:52 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

I know this doesn't answer your question, but are you sure you need to replace the core? I had a mechanic tell me mine was clogged beyond hope, but just a few days ago I proved him wrong with a garden hose and some thick-headed persistence. I held the hoses from the core to the garden hose for what felt like 45 minutes, alternating periodically of course, and sure enough I blasted the clog out. Now, in the middle of a heat wave, I have a working heater core!

If you know for a fact that it isn't leaking, how about you give this a shot before you throw money at the problem? What do you have to lose, 45 minutes? Just a thought. Good luck!
Old 07-24-2011, 01:17 PM

I actually don't need one. I do need to replace the evaporator and I just thought that I should replace the heater core at the same time since the job is such a pain in the rear and heater cores are not that expensive. I would kick myself if I went through all of the trouble to replace the evaporator and experience a heater core failure a few months down the road. The jeep does have 280,000 miles on it and it is the original core. I haven't been very good with replacing my coolant over the years, so I figure there is some corrosion in the system. The current heater core does however work well.