Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Heater-A/C vent issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Heater-A/C vent issue

I have an odd problem with my heat-a/c control, this is not the normal vacuum leak I encountered with my old jeep. All modes except the defrost/floor mode work. When I place the vent control on the floor/defrost my heat will only come out defrost, I can switch between all other vent modes and it works fine. I'm not sure where to start with this issue if anyone has any ideas or a fix I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ivory99
I have an odd problem with my heat-a/c control, this is not the normal vacuum leak I encountered with my old jeep. All modes except the defrost/floor mode work. When I place the vent control on the floor/defrost my heat will only come out defrost, I can switch between all other vent modes and it works fine. I'm not sure where to start with this issue if anyone has any ideas or a fix I would greatly appreciate it.
I have this same problem after replacing my heater core. Mine also won't switch from heat to cold either
Old 11-14-2015, 10:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

Research vacuum lines.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

What's the problem. I don't understand. Also your year and if you have AC would help.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:25 AM

its a 99 limited. the problem is when i switch it to floor/defrost heat only comes out the defrost. All other settings work, if i switch it to just the floor it works fine
Old 11-15-2015, 08:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Ok I see, the defrost and floor work separately but not together. If the other settings all work then a vacuum issue isn't your problem.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by jpmarine6786
Ok I see, the defrost and floor work separately but not together. If the other settings all work then a vacuum issue isn't your problem.
thats what i figured, do you have any idea what to look for to fix this problem?
Old 11-15-2015, 11:16 AM
Seasoned Member

It could be either a issue with the control in the dash or the actuators. This is a total guess however.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

The Defrost Door Actuator has two positions; one is full defrost and the other is Bi-Level. In the pic below you can see two vacuum tubes going to the Defrost Actuator. When you select Defrost vacuum is ported to the middle (Yellow) tube and the actuator moves the Defrost Door to the open position. When Bi-Level is selected, vacuum is ported to the bottom (Blue) position tube on the actuator and the Defrost Door moves to a mid position, and at the same time vacuum is ported to the Floor Actuator to open the Floor door.

My guess is that the Defrost Door actuator is defective or the Bi-Level vacuum tube is not connected (not a reasonable assumption).

Can you feel air coming out of the floor console rear vents when Bi-Level is selected? Sometimes air coming out of the front footwell vents is hard to feel.

The vacuum schematic below shows the vacuum routing.

Name:  img496-1.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  43.9 KB

Name:  jpgModeSelectFunctions.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  160.5 KB

Last edited by CCKen; 11-15-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:06 PM

I can feel very little (almost nothing) coming out of the floor on the bi-level. before it stopped working I could feel a lot more air movement. With it on the bi-level selection you can hear it whistling around the floor vent door.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

I can feel very little (almost nothing) coming out of the floor on the bi-level. before it stopped working I could feel a lot more air movement. With it on the bi-level selection you can hear it whistling around the floor vent door.
I must ask: Is this an issue you're having that you can't live with?

The reason I ask is that if the Defrost Door Actuator is defective you'll have to pull the dash apart to get at the actuator.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
I must ask: Is this an issue you're having that you can't live with?

The reason I ask is that if the Defrost Door Actuator is defective you'll have to pull the dash apart to get at the actuator.
I would like to fix it, it gets really cold up here in Vermont. Its the only setting that i really use as it clears the windshield and keeps my feet warm
Old 11-15-2015, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

Did you say air flow is acceptable out the front floor vents and at the rear of the floor console when Floor only is selected?
Old 11-15-2015, 12:58 PM

yes it has perfect air flow when the just the floor only is selected
Old 11-15-2015, 01:12 PM
CF Veteran

To get a (limited) look at the defrost door actuator linkage you can remove the trim panel and knee blocker from under the steering column, and using a flashlight, look up to the right of the steering column and you can see the door actuator bell crank and arm where it attaches. See pic below.

You need vacuum in the system to do this:

While looking up there, operate the mode selector from any selection to Defrost. You should be able to see the actuator operate the bell crank, then select Bi-Level, the actuator lever should move part way.

Deplete all the vacuum in the system by making multiple selections until no more door movement is heard. At this point the Defrost Door actuator should have opened the Defrost Door.

If the Defrost Door actuator does not move midway, I would think the actuator is defective.

By looking at the pic below you can see to what extent the work would be to get at the actuator.

Name:  Defrost%20Door%20Troubleshooting.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  4.49 MB

Quick Reply: Heater-A/C vent issue