Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Heat only works on high.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Heat only works on high.

As stated above, the heat only work on high and is only coming out of the defroster vents. I wasn't sure where to start, so I went to the junk yard and got a whole new manifold (not sure what else to call it, rather the thing under the radio with the dials). Unfortunately that was a no go, but worth the shot for a few bucks. I know there is a relay for this component, not sure if it's that or what, but I'm open to suggestions rather than just throwing things at it. Thanks for your time.
99 cherokee.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ChuckieLove23
As stated above, the heat only work on high and is only coming out of the defroster vents. I wasn't sure where to start, so I went to the junk yard and got a whole new manifold (not sure what else to call it, rather the thing under the radio with the dials). Unfortunately that was a no go, but worth the shot for a few bucks. I know there is a relay for this component, not sure if it's that or what, but I'm open to suggestions rather than just throwing things at it. Thanks for your time.
99 cherokee.

Usually when you can only get High out of the blower it's the blower resistor block bad and should be replaced.

Air out of the defrost vents only is usually a vacuum leak. Most leaks occur in the engine bay. You should check all vacuum tubing in the engine bay from the intake manifold to the vacuum reservoir under the right front bumper end cap.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Click the link to get photos of the vacuum system in the engine bay.

Click on the image to make it larger.

https://picasaweb.google.com/ken384/...eat=directlink
Old 03-23-2015, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

^ What he said ^
Old 03-23-2015, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by ChuckieLove23
99 cherokee.
Same thing happened to my 2000 XJ last year.... changed the blower resistor block and good as new. Take out the glove box and it's in the heater casing accessed by removing a couple of bolts... I used an extension on my socket. Bought the part from Advanced Auto parts with on-line coupon for about $30