Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

heat/blower motor problems ( pics )

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default heat/blower motor problems ( pics )

ok so when i got the jeep the kid said the blower motor relay wasnt working. idk if that is the case. so heres whats happening, i turn the ***** on the dash and get nothing. idk where to start to look for fuses. i tried switching the big fuse in the box but no change. what things should i check and what fuses would go aka where should i start haha

the pics show what i think is the ac missing and there is a loose plug that might complete a circut?
Attached Images    
Old 03-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Seasoned Member

bump...
Old 03-05-2010, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would run a hot wire from the battery just to make sure the motor works. there should be a resistor in the air box somewhere that controls the fan speed. they put it in there to keep it cool. normally two screws hold it in and it will be in the same box that the blower motor is in. see if you have power there when you turn it on. not really sure what the plug is for, perhaps some else will chime in and give you the direct solution to your problem
Old 03-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Throttle Jockey
i would run a hot wire from the battery just to make sure the motor works. there should be a resistor in the air box somewhere that controls the fan speed. they put it in there to keep it cool. normally two screws hold it in and it will be in the same box that the blower motor is in. see if you have power there when you turn it on. not really sure what the plug is for, perhaps some else will chime in and give you the direct solution to your problem
there is no air box lol
Old 03-10-2010, 12:52 PM

the plug looks like its suppose to go into the dryer(large silver container)
Old 05-30-2010, 09:09 PM

Year: 2001

There is another fuse box on the front passenger side, out board. I had the same problem, but it occurred incrementally. First the motor cut off and on, then it would vary speed, then it finally and totally quit.
The thing still cooled for awhile, but you had to be going 70+ to feel it. Then that stopped as well.
So, put four cans of R134A in it and it is now cooling, but NOT blowing (of course)
So I went and spent 191.00 USD on an after market motor at Discount Auto, which my certified mech buddy and I will install in the morning.
I will leave a post to let you know, even if you no longer care.

BTW: the Cherokee just passed 170,000 miles. It has received pretty regular oil and transmission changes using Mobil One since she hit 4,000 miles. The old girl runs like the day I drove her off the lot, and so far nothing more major then this.

Later~!
Old 05-30-2010, 09:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

sounds like you have the same problem as me, try pulling the front panel off the dash(the plastic piece around the radio and gauge cluster, it comes off with 2 screws and the rest pops off) then unscrew the control box that has the A/C and heat controls and all on it (4 screws i think) and look behind it at the plugs that go into it. check them and see if they are melted any at all, and if they are that is most likely your problem.

it could be something else for you, but that is what MY problem is and it sounds alot like yours so i hope this helps