Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Headliner unit compatability

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Headliner unit compatability

Hi all,hoping this is the right place to post this !
I have a 1995 XJ and a few months ago,bought the headliner unit as there is not one fitted to mine.Never fitted it as needed the temp sensor and wiring loom in case I needed it.Have just bought a set of wheels from a guy who was breaking a 2003 XJ and at the same time,had his headliner unit,loom and sensor.Question is,before I take out the headliner in mine,will the later unit be compatible? The reason I ask is that the first unit I bought is covered in grey felt the same as the headliner itself and it is thinner at one end than the one I have just bought which is all black plastic....the fittings are different as well.He also gave me the headliner as well which has the holes already cut,obviously! Any advice on wether the newer and better unit will fit my older XJ would be appreciated....thanks in advance !
Old 08-18-2012, 11:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the only way to tell is to pull yours and set them up together to see if they match.
Perhaps someone else has done it?
Old 08-18-2012, 11:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

;if you're talking about the overhead console, then no, they are not cross compatible. it is controlled with the engine computer, which don't operate even remotely similarly.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:16 AM

Default console compatibility

Thanks for the replies...guess I will have to use the first one that I bought then!
Two more questions....will the actual outside temp sensor I bought also be different to the earlier model? I do not have the mounting brackets....are these likely to be in place under the headliner or were they only fitted specifically to models with the overhead console?
Thanks again !
Old 08-19-2012, 08:31 AM

Year: 90

Brackets won't be under the old headliner. Another thing you probably need is the temp sensor/sending unit that's behind the grill trim above the front bumper.