Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Headlights cutting out

Old 11-24-2012, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights cutting out

Driving home at night and headlights after being on high beams for awhile decide to turn off for a few seconds (which was terrific). Is this a common problem with Xjs? I'm not any kind of electrical genius so any advice is helpful
It's a 94 sport if that helps
Old 11-25-2012, 01:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Going to sound sooooooooo crazy, but run a different ground from your raidio, i ran man to the metal plate up under the steering column. Also rrun sn extra clean new ground from battery

Headlights cutting out-forumrunner_20121125_024616.jpg

Fixes 80,percent of irratic electrical problems on xjs, well, have on my 2 at least.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:54 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,521 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by rughetto72
Driving home at night and headlights after being on high beams for awhile decide to turn off for a few seconds (which was terrific). Is this a common problem with Xjs? I'm not any kind of electrical genius so any advice is helpful
It's a 94 sport if that helps
Yes it's common. There is a circuit breaker for the headlight circuit built into the switch.

On top of that, the wiring for that circuit is long and undersized.

My suggestion is to install an add-on headlight harness like the one in the link below. The real upside is your lights will be about 30% brighter and your headlight switch won't be overloaded anymore. Super easy to install.

http://www.eautoworks.com/Putco-H4--...s-PRD7540.aspx
Old 11-25-2012, 10:31 AM

Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Yes it's common. There is a circuit breaker for the headlight circuit built into the switch.

On top of that, the wiring for that circuit is long and undersized.

My suggestion is to install an add-on headlight harness like the one in the link below. The real upside is your lights will be about 30% brighter and your headlight switch won't be overloaded anymore. Super easy to install.

http://www.eautoworks.com/Putco-H4--...s-PRD7540.aspx
i'm thinking about buying one of these. is there a write up anywhere on install?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:42 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,521 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

You HAD to ask........

Cruiser’s Headlight Upgrade Harness Instructions

Absolutely plug and play. Remove grille and headlamp bulbs. I fed my harnesses from the passenger side starting between the battery and the back of the headlamp housing, over to the driver side. Plug the driver side bulb into the new harness. Attach the new harness's ground wire under one of the small bolts on the radiator support after scraping the paint off under it. Attach the harness to the existing harness behind the grille working toward the passenger side. . Plug the new harness plug into passenger headlamp. Plug original headlamp plug into receptacle on new harness. Attach the ground for the passenger side just like you did the driver side under a radiator support bolt. Attach relays with provided bracket on the passenger side inner fender. Connect power wires to battery.