Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

headlight problems 96 xj

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default headlight problems 96 xj

i have a 96 xj sport my headlights wont work, when I turn them on my parking light work but not my headlights. click the switch and hold it and my brights come on. let go of the switch and they go back off?? I was told it had a new switch but im not sure! anyone have this problem?
Old 04-12-2015, 01:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

I had the exact same problem. I replaced the switch and it solved the issue for a couple of weeks, but then it returned. Turns out the connector (the plug that connects to the switch) was the problem. It had melted, which I didn't notice from underneath, but when I pulled the gauge cluster to start tracing wires, it was very obvious from the top of the connector. The repair of splicing in a new replacement was not to difficult with the cluster removed. I found most of the auto parts stores carried it, but ended up saving a few bucks by ordering it from rock auto.

Best way to avoid a repeat of this, is to add an upgraded headlight harness so the headlight switch is only responsible for signaling a relay. Right now, the full power for the headlights runs through the switch, which creates a ton of heat, and is a common problem on the XJ
Old 04-12-2015, 03:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by HEAP of JEEP
I had the exact same problem. I replaced the switch and it solved the issue for a couple of weeks, but then it returned. Turns out the connector (the plug that connects to the switch) was the problem. It had melted, which I didn't notice from underneath, but when I pulled the gauge cluster to start tracing wires, it was very obvious from the top of the connector. The repair of splicing in a new replacement was not to difficult with the cluster removed. I found most of the auto parts stores carried it, but ended up saving a few bucks by ordering it from rock auto.

Best way to avoid a repeat of this, is to add an upgraded headlight harness so the headlight switch is only responsible for signaling a relay. Right now, the full power for the headlights runs through the switch, which creates a ton of heat, and is a common problem on the XJ
Excellent advice.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:16 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by F1Addict
Excellent advice.
Yowzer, it is!!