Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight problem

I have a 1999 jeep cherokee sport and my lights work perfect when they are on dim but as soon as you flip them on bright they shut off. I put a new dimmer switch in it and still the same thing. Does anyone have any other ideas on what could be wrong?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

So what works? Parking lights and low beams? If your talking about just your high beams dont work, check the fuse. Next check the stalk to make sure they are actually getting turned on and that its not broken. If it is see if its mechanical or a wire.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94
So what works? Parking lights and low beams? If your talking about just your high beams dont work, check the fuse. Next check the stalk to make sure they are actually getting turned on and that its not broken. If it is see if its mechanical or a wire.
Also you a voltmeter to make sure your getting power at the bulb.. If you are and they still dont work, check the bulb. the bulb and housing are one unit, unless aftermarket. i think they are like 14 for a new one at autozone.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:31 PM

Yea just park lights and low beams work. Where is the fuse for the high beams at? I dont have a owners manual. I was also told it could be a relay but i dont know where the relay is either. The relay aint in the engine compartment
Old 06-27-2012, 11:56 PM

Have you changed the headlamps that's happened to me before
Old 06-28-2012, 12:37 AM

Yea i had hid's put in. It might just be that they are wired up wrong because you cannot turn your lights off just by pushing in the light switch (pull ****) you have to push in the switch and then try to flip them on bright in order to turn them off. Its just weird how it was messin up even before i put the hid upgrade in. I dont know jack **** about wirein so im completely lost
Old 06-28-2012, 08:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Its a jeep thing
Yea i had hid's put in. It might just be that they are wired up wrong because you cannot turn your lights off just by pushing in the light switch (pull ****) you have to push in the switch and then try to flip them on bright in order to turn them off. Its just weird how it was messin up even before i put the hid upgrade in. I dont know jack **** about wirein so im completely lost
If you had them installed I would take it back to where you had it do and make them repair it. It sounds like who ever installed them didn't know what the hell they were doing. What ever you do DON'T pay them to repair it. They screwed it they should fix it.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:30 AM

Well the only thing is my brights didnt work when the stock lights were in it. Like they started off workin part of the time and then eventually just completely quit n i had them new hid's put in and they still dont work. Idk what the problem is. I figured it was the dimmer switch on the colum so i replaced it with a new one and i still have the same problem