Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Headlight high/low beam switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question Headlight high/low beam switch

My Cherokee's previous owner from hell (further on known as POH) did some work on the jeep's steering column and was considerate enough to leave out the rod that goes from the headlight lever to the switch that switches between the high and low beams. I have tried several things, and really, the last thing I want to do is to tear into the steering column and rig a new rod. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what each wire on the connector to the switch goes to so I can rig up a different two-stage switch (ON-OFF-ON) and be done with these shenanigans.

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Hey, I had the same issue, well, my rod was in there and bent to hell. I just picked up the switch, labeled the wires and ran it to an on-off-on toggle switch next to my shifter. It was real easy, as you will see the middle one is the ground, and either side, one is the high beams and one is the low beams. it's the same withg the toggle switch, just run a little extra wire to where you are going to mount the switch, and hook them up. If the high beams and low beams seem backwards to you, you can just turn the switch instead of messing with the wires again. I picked up the switch for like 8 bucks, but I wanted a little nicer one that advanced auto had. It's really easy to do, and gets you out of dealing with that rod... lol.