Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Header panel frusturations

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 95 & 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Header panel frusturations

Greetings,

Maybe someone can help me out? The two bolts that come out through the front quarter panel that hold the header panel down on either side of the cherokee, well, they broke off from being rusty--on the drivers side. Assuming these are welded-in? Should I just drill them out and use a self-tapping screw? Maybe sheer the head of the screw off and use a nut to secure the panel down?

Suggestions are appreciated--Thanks!
Old 08-04-2011, 12:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop

Originally Posted by XJ_USER
Greetings,

Maybe someone can help me out? The two bolts that come out through the front quarter panel that hold the header panel down on either side of the cherokee, well, they broke off from being rusty--on the drivers side. Assuming these are welded-in? Should I just drill them out and use a self-tapping screw? Maybe sheer the head of the screw off and use a nut to secure the panel down?

Suggestions are appreciated--Thanks!
I'd say drill the existing bolts out and replace them with stainless hardware in case you need to remove your header panel in the future. I'd use the same size nut and bolt as what was there originally.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:25 PM

Thanks for your advice--Stainless steel hardware swaps has been the standard for me whenever possible, but can anyone confirm how those bolts mount into the front quarter panel? Is there a way to get behind them without too much difficulty? If one orders a new quarter panel are those header panel bolts already mounted on there?

I can't find anything online or in any of my manuals on this--surely somebody on here has to know?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2011, 05:19 PM

Ok, I got 'R' done and I figured I would share what I did with all of you, as I could not find anything on the net or in my manuals on this, so here goes:

1). I measured the length of the bolts that had not snapped off--they protrude about 3/4" from the front.

2). Taking one of the nuts from the bolts that didn't snap along to the hardware store, I discovered this is a 6MM bolt--I bought 2 (QTY) 1" STAINLESS STEEL bolts and nuts. (Note: save all the nuts from the original bolts--they have over-sized heads when compared with regular 6MM bolts--if you happen to have lost them like I did when the @#*#%!$ snapped off--pick up some washers as well to account for the larger size needed to hold the header panel in place) While you are there, pick-up a #6 drill bit as well--unless you happen to have one sitting around.

3). I used a Dremel tool with cut-off wheels and grinding bits to get the snapped off bolts ground down as close to nothing as possible. Use an awl or center-punch to score the center of the bolt and again, grab the Dremel with a smaller drill-bit-of-your-choice to start the center correctly so your larger #6 bit doesn't skate all over the place.

4). Carefully drill the bolt out with the #6 bit--I went slow, assuring the bit stayed center.

5). Once through, I deburred the hole with a cone-shaped grinding bit.

6). Grab that 6MM bolt and probably a 10MM socket, and with constant pressure, slowly tap the hole with the bolt, staying as straight as possible. You may have to hit the hole with the drill bit a little to get the size correct--if need be, take just a little off at a time . I stopped turning the wrench when I couldn't easily turn anymore--we don't want to bend anything. Don't go crazy torquing this bolt down--it's not bearing much weight or resistance.

7). I then grabbed the dremel again and with cut-off wheel, cut-off the head of the bolt. You may also want to grind the cut smooth--or file it smooth--as I did.

8). I cleaned and painted around the hole I bored to hopefully stop any potential rust from forming.

9). Put it all back together and you're done--as good as new--maybe better with the stainless hardware!

I hope someone finds this helpful--This method seems a lot easier to me then pulling off the whole front quarter panel to get behind the bolts, only to have to essentially do the same thing. Also, it may not hurt to keep all of your hardware lightly coated in grease to prevent seizure and decomposition--depending on where you live--here in WI things rust out way too much

Last edited by XJ_USER; 08-07-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: grammar--forgot something
Old 12-11-2014, 10:05 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by XJ_USER
2). Taking one of the nuts from the bolts that didn't snap along to the hardware store, I discovered this is a 6MM bolt--I bought 2
All of the bolts broke off on mine taking part of the header panel with it so I finally resorted to buying a new one after almost losing the panel on my way to work one day. The new one didnt have any nuts included and its been driving me crazy trying to figure out what size nuts I need. I stumbled upon this post and thank god because I was about to walk into the hardware store with my header panel to figure out what size nut i needed