Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Head-Unit Installation Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Head-Unit Installation Help

Okay so I know for some of you this maybe as simple as it gets however I have honestly never done this before. I have a 2000 jeep cherokee sport with the factory OEM head-unit/cassette player still installed. I got the head-unit primarily to be able to listen to CD's along with the USB and wireless bluetooth calling. I am going to be doing this install in a few days by myself because I am currently in college and would like to try and save some money especially when best buy just told it would cost $75 bucks just to install! that's crazy IMO. Anyways I searched numerous youtube video's and google and could not find what I was looking particularly for my application here. What I am asking is I have already purchased the head-unit, wiring harness, dash kit. I just don't understand what wires I crimp to what? Is there a chart or diagram that I could use to help me? Also how hard is it to remove the dash and could someone help me out on that too? I am just pretty much a beginner when it comes to wring and I need all the help I can get. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I noticed on the back of the wiring harness bag there is a chart with numbers and colors but that really does not explain to me what I need to do here. Thanks for all the help guys!

I purchased this head-unit if that helps

Amazon.com: Alpine CDE-103BT - Radio / CD / MP3 player / USB flash player - Full-DIN - in-dash - 50 Watts x 4: Electronics Amazon.com: Alpine CDE-103BT - Radio / CD / MP3 player / USB flash player - Full-DIN - in-dash - 50 Watts x 4: Electronics
Old 10-02-2011, 08:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Walmart has a wiring harness that plugs into the factory one and has the wires you splice into the new radios wiring harness. I decided to not go that route and just cut and splice every wire together. On the factory radio it will tell you what color wire goes where, the new radio will have a instillation manual or something that will have the wiring harness info. I cut a wire off the factory harness, striped it, and put it with the appropriate wire to the new radio harness with a wire nut. I did this with all the wires i was using and then tested the radio to make sure i didnt mess anything up. After i knew everything worked i took wire butt connectors and crimped the two together. Theres really no plus to doing this as opposed to the walmart harness, other than if someone wants my radio they have to cut the wires no just undo the harness but they would probably do that anyway so whatever lol it will just take them a lil longer. Just pay attention to where you combine every wire and what it does and double check everything any more questions just post again and with pics if you got em
Old 10-02-2011, 09:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000.1999,1996
Engine: 4.0

Go to scabmart (walmart) go to the radio section look around for a package with the plug in adaptors for your jeep and also a radio faceplate install kit if you cant get help there go to a radio shop or even bestbuy and ask them for the parts. It's to hard to explain what you need if you don't have a clue what to look for.And no I'm not being a ***** to you ,you just don't know what you need. Also don't cut an splice there is no need to do that, Not for 25.00 in parts.g/l
Old 10-02-2011, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 348 Likes on 237 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

If you wanna come down to the Baltimore area, I'd be happy to help ya with this.

Its not that bad, You should have a Factory harness plug set, and the Alpine comes with its harness.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ss/cwh-634.jpg < what the factory conversion harness looks like.

Its just a matter of connecting all the wires up properly either by crimping or by soldering and heatshrink/electrical tape.

Last edited by Veeb0rg; 10-02-2011 at 10:04 PM.