Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Head gasket sealant

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Head gasket sealant

Has anyone every tried any of the liquid head gasket repair products? I have noticed a small bit of milky stuff on the tip of my oil dipstick lately and am beginning to ponder a gasket/block leak. Bar's makes a head gasket/block seal but the instructions sound horrid. I'd hate to go thru all this and not have it work:

DIRECTIONS

1. Allow engine to cool. Make sure engine is cool enough so radiator cap can be safely removed. (This could take 30 minutes or longer). Drain and completely flush antifreeze from cooling system and overflow tank. Using a flush “T” with garden hose works best. If cooling system is dirty, use a good quality flush following manufacturer’s instructions.
ALL antifreeze must be removed or clogging may occur.
DISPOSAL: Observe local laws & regulations. Where permitted, dispose of in sanitary
sewer system. Never pour on the ground or in a storm sewer system.

2. For hard to stop internal leaks where coolant is leaking into a cylinder or the cylinder pressure is pushing coolant out, locate the cylinder causing the problem and remove the spark plug for best results.
TIP: An indication of a cylinder causing the problem can be found by removing the spark plugs and looking for one that either cleaner than the others, or has a tint of antifreeze color on the tip or porcelain.

3. Shake well, Mix Head Gasket Repair in bucket or container with approximately 3 quarts of warm water. Pour this mixture directly into the radiator. If using a small cooling system, like 4 cylinders with no A/C, mix ½ bottle of the Head Gasket Repair with the warm water.
TIP: If you do not have access to your radiator, remove top hose where it connects to the top of radiator and install product in hose. Reattach and tighten clamp.

4. Fill cooling system with water and reinstall radiator cap.

5. Start engine.

6. Turn heater on hot and fan on high.

7. Run engine for 5 minutes or until thermostat opens.

8. Turn vehicle off and allow engine to cool.

9. Top off cooling system with water and reinstall radiator cap. If you removed a spark plug in step 2 reinstall now.

10. Run engine at idle until normal operating temperature is reached. Continue running
engine at idle for 15 minutes.

11. Turn vehicle off and allow engine to cool.

12. Top off cooling system with water as needed and reinstall radiator cap.

13. Run engine at idle until normal operating temperature is reached. Continue running
engine, but at high idle. (1500 RPM’s) for 20 minutes.
TIP: For vehicles with intermittent or very minor leaks, it is recommended to follow step 13 by idling vehicle for one hour.

14. Turn vehicle off and allow engine to cool for 1 hour.

15. Remove radiator cap and drain system.

16. Leave drain open and radiator cap off for 12 to 24 hours. If temperature is below freezing, vehicle must either be kept heated or immediately go to step 17.

17. Flush entire cooling system and refill with manufacturer’s recommended antifreeze/water mixture.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: Gas

It's crap.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please don't do it. I have seen that stuff plug up rad's and heater cores before. Just not worth it at all in my opinion.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

I know of one that works... I did not want to use it... but my mother insisted... she said she wanted to try it, it had a money back deal if it did not work...

it is called Blue Devil... it is $60 a bottle... and in many cases it works... from what I have seen though it will only work IF AND ONLY IF the head gasket leak it coolant to air, or coolant to combustion chamber leak, around 220F the chemical will change and start to harden, it will not melt again until at least 1500F... that is why it works...

well it worked... she has not had any issues in over 3 years

Blue Devil is a modified version of Liquid glass...

Sodium silicate is the proper chemical name... back in the day they used to use it to keep eggs safe in shipping

Last edited by ericfx1984; 02-19-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

It might work on a small leak, but as they say....."your results may vary". And there can be significant side effects.

If you have a diagnosed head gasket leak, suck it up, grab the toolbox, and get r done. It isn't a terribly hard job for most people that have reasonable mechanical skills.