Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Head Gasket- Pay a mechanic or DIY?

Old 03-27-2018, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Head Gasket- Pay a mechanic or DIY?

Hey Guys,

I'm pretty new here and just bought a 2000 White Freedom edition Cherokee with 164,000 miles on it. This thing is SUPER CLEAN, 1 owner, well cared for, paint is gorgeous and it seems like it is in great shape mechanically but I'm getting some dripping off of the bell housing, don't think it's the RMS because the guy said he just replaced it and has paperwork(small dealer that sells jeeps mainly) I had to go pretty far to get it so I took it to my guy to have it looked over and see if there are any issues.

THE GOOD:

He basically said it's the cleanest jeep in the best shape I could have bought. Probably garage kept, the engine bay & interior & exterior are immaculate. Looks like pretty much all of the seals and gaskets have been replaced.......except

THE BAD:

The head gasket, which after cleaning off all the oil and running it a verifying, that is where the leak is coming from.

The estimate to replace with the whole head gasket kit is $950 out the door @7 hours of labor.

The question is: do I pay to have that done and I get a 12 month/ 12,000 mile labor warranty.....or do I try to DIY, the parts are @$240 for the whole kit.

Keep in mind I have never done any engine work on any car other than oil & filter changes. I'm pretty handy and learn quick and pay a lot of attention to detail & instructions. I also have a friend who races mustangs and has all the tools I would need to do anything.

Just looking for sound advice from any of you guys.

Thanks

I'll post pics of the jeep soon.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

The head gasket is leaking oil? You sure its not the valve cover?
Old 03-27-2018, 09:52 PM

Yes, there is oil seeping out between the head and the block.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RealDealBJJ
Yes, there is oil seeping out between the head and the block.
ok if thats so, and you will be that deep already, i would do some reasearch on the bad cylinder heads that the 00-01 models have. They are prone to cracking and letting coolant mix with oil and trashing your motor. A new one from clearwater heads is about 550 shipped. Its a pretty straightforward job that you can do yourself....just something to think about, especially if the jeep is in as good of shape as you say. Might as well do what you can to keep it that way.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998

Congrats on your purchase. Please do yourself a favor and read this:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/00-...18922/index11/

If you decide to save some money and learn something about your Jeep, (which is what I would recommend), don't sweat it, it's easy. Just be sure and torque the head to spec and in the proper sequence.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 4WD4EVER

If you decide to save some money and learn something about your Jeep, (which is what I would recommend), don't sweat it, it's easy. Just be sure and torque the head to spec and in the proper sequence.
same thoughts if i was going that far, I'd replace the head
Old 03-27-2018, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Define seeping... Mine does the same but its not much. Enough that dirt sticks to it but a small enough amount that if you clean it off at every oil change, you won't know its there. Post some pictures of the leak if you can
Old 03-27-2018, 10:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not to scare you off, but on to of the kit (depending on what it comes with) will be a few more required parts and labor involved. Aside from just the head gasket and head bolts:

Coolant drain and replace
Water pump (unless it's new, replace) and gasket
Thermostat and housing gasket
Oil & filter change
Valve cover gasket

You'll want to do all that just in case the head gasket leaked around the water channels of the head.

You'll need a good and hefty (110 ft/lbs is torque) 1/2" drive torque wrench and deep-wall star point socket.

And some special waterproofing thread-locker for the front head stud (closest to the water pump).

Clearly mark/label connectors, because you'll need to pull back quite a bit from around the engine to remove the head.

I'm going on and on, but there's probably a complete write up on here for the whole procedure.

It's a lot of work, but of your money is more valuable that your time, go for it! I took my Jeep baptism of fire by doing an engine swap, but if you're ready for the plunge, go for it.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:19 PM

Not to scare you off, but on to of the kit (depending on what it comes with) will be a few more required parts and labor involved. Aside from just the head gasket and head bolts:

Coolant drain and replace
Water pump (unless it's new, replace) and gasket
Thermostat and housing gasket
Oil & filter change
Valve cover gasket

You'll want to do all that just in case the head gasket leaked around the water channels of the head.

You'll need a good and hefty (110 ft/lbs is torque) 1/2" drive torque wrench and deep-wall star point socket.

And some special waterproofing thread-locker for the front head stud (closest to the water pump).

Clearly mark/label connectors, because you'll need to pull back quite a bit from around the engine to remove the head.

I'm going on and on, but there's probably a complete write up on here for the whole procedure.

It's a lot of work, but of your money is more valuable that your time, go for it! I took my Jeep baptism of fire by doing an engine swap, but if you're ready for the plunge, go for it.
The kit includes all of those gaskets. I'm not sure if the water pump is new, but if not I may do that.

Define seeping... Mine does the same but its not much. Enough that dirt sticks to it but a small enough amount that if you clean it off at every oil change, you won't know its there. Post some pictures of the leak if you can
Well the mechanic cleaned all of the oil and gunk off of everything and then drove it for 2 miles and it was seeping slowly out. Additionally, there is enough that causes some dripping from the bell housing. not a ton, but enough to leave a small puddle the size of maybe a dollar bill. I will try to take some pics tomorrow and post them.

Quote:Originally Posted by 4WD4EVER

same thoughts if i was going that far, I'd replace the head
I'm seriously considering that

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I feel real comfortable with the guy I had look at it. he is an XJ owner and a master tech & the shop foreman at the shop I took it to. But I think I may want to dive into DIY.

One question I have, I am planning a trip to the grand canyon with my wife for 3 days & some camping. Do you think with that type of leak, I can make that type of a trip or do you think this is something I should address before taking it on a long trek out into the desert?
Old 03-27-2018, 11:32 PM
CF Veteran

The kit includes all of those gaskets. I'm not sure if the water pump is new, but if not I may do that.

Well the mechanic cleaned all of the oil and gunk off of everything and then drove it for 2 miles and it was seeping slowly out. Additionally, there is enough that causes some dripping from the bell housing. not a ton, but enough to leave a small puddle the size of maybe a dollar bill. I will try to take some pics tomorrow and post them.

I'm seriously considering that

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I feel real comfortable with the guy I had look at it. he is an XJ owner and a master tech & the shop foreman at the shop I took it to. But I think I may want to dive into DIY.

One question I have, I am planning a trip to the grand canyon with my wife for 3 days & some camping. Do you think with that type of leak, I can make that type of a trip or do you think this is something I should address before taking it on a long trek out into the desert?
when are you planning this? I know i wouldn't go on a big trip on a new to me older vehicle without making sure all the bugs are out. No matter the condition it seems to be in now that yougot it.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
when are you planning this? I know i wouldn't go on a big trip on a new to me older vehicle without making sure all the bugs are out. No matter the condition it seems to be in now that yougot it.

Next Thursday after work through Sunday
Old 03-27-2018, 11:56 PM
CF Veteran

Next Thursday after work through Sunday
i mean, depending on how far the trip is for you, it depends. You really can never know how an older vehicle was maintained. Cleaning products can do wonders to hide things when a vehicle is for sale...it would suck to have a breakdown and ruin your trip you know?
Old 03-28-2018, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
i mean, depending on how far the trip is for you, it depends. You really can never know how an older vehicle was maintained. Cleaning products can do wonders to hide things when a vehicle is for sale...it would suck to have a breakdown and ruin your trip you know?
yeah I hear that.

The plan was to drive from San Diego through Joshua tree, stay there overnight, then go up to the hoover dam and then on to Horseshoe Bend in AZ and make a stop at the Grand Canyon. Total trip is @850 miles one way.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:59 AM
CF Veteran

yeah I hear that.

The plan was to drive from San Diego through Joshua tree, stay there overnight, then go up to the hoover dam and then on to Horseshoe Bend in AZ and make a stop at the Grand Canyon. Total trip is @850 miles one way.
if it were me, i wouldn't go on your new to you jeep, but that's just my opinion.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Oil seeping between the head and block is NORMAL on the 4.0L. There is NO pressurized oil at that point in the engine so it's just weeping. I have read a few threads on here about people trying to "fix" it with new gaskets etc. It will still weep there. Just hit the carwash once in a while if it bothers you.

If there are NO other symptoms of a defective/failed head, I would just drive it and enjoy it. IF you have the 0331 head, I would look into replaceing with a new Clearwater head. Then you can enjoy your oil seepage after a while with the new head too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head Gasket- Pay a mechanic or DIY?