Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Head Gasket choice (Fel-pro)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default Head Gasket choice (Fel-pro)

2000 XJ – 105,000 miles 4.0

I overheated the heap one too many times and am now replacing the cylinder head. In looking Fel-pro offers two types: HS 26211 PT a “PermaTorque MLS head gasket. MLS head gaskets provide the best seal, but require extremely smooth and flat surfaces to seal properly” (From Fel-pro product forum). Or HS 9076 PT-4 “contains a PermaTorque head gasket, which is a composite gasket. Sealing surface finish and flatness must still meet the factory specifications, but these gaskets seal rougher surfaces than MLS gaskets.” (From Fel-pro product forum).

Does anyone have experience with either of these gaskets? Since the head would be new my assumption is that it would be flat and smooth but how flat and smooth the block would be who’s to know? I have not pulled the head yet as I wanted to keep the engine sealed until the new head came but I am not anticipating anything out of the ordinary i.e., some residue from the old gasket. Experiences, thoughts, opinions?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I went with the MLS gasket. I had sort of a tough time getting the old gasket off. I used some gasket remover (CRC Brand), some scotch brite and a razor scraper. Make sure to plug up the cylinder bores and the bores leading to the lifters. I just used some shop towels.

After that, I took a rag with some carb cleaner and wiped down the surface followed by a dry shop towel to mop up any residue. Finally, I used a rag soaked with a little bit of new motor oil and wiped down the cylinder walls.

The block surface had some discoloration left over but was silky smooth to the touch.

I only have about 100 miles driven so far but there aren't any problems.