Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 04:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Default Head Gasket

Hi i have a 2002 jeep grand Cherokee 4.7 overland broke down yesterday, brake down guy said it was one of the head gaskets I agree with him. My question is? Will I have to get the head skimmed the car didn’t seriously over heat, also I will be doing the work myself I will change both gaskets is it worth changing the thermostat and water pump while the engine is apart. Any advice and things to look out for would be great,
Thanks Hayden
Old 01-02-2012, 04:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

This forum is not for the GRAND Cherokee, it is for the regular XJ Cherokee. So no 4.7 engines here......sorry.

But in general, if you have an overheat (it's very hard to distinguish between a serious overheat and one that isn't so!) and have to pull the head, it's worth it to take the head to a machine shop for them to verify it for straightness and cracks before you reinstall it. Putting in a new thermostat is never a bad idea. Unless you feel that the water pump was a "root cause" of an overheat, it wouldn't have to be replaced, but if it's older, changing it out would not be a bad idea either as long as you're tearing things apart....

Last edited by tjwalker; 01-02-2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by tjwalker
This forum is not for the GRAND Cherokee, it is for the regular XJ Cherokee. So no 4.7 engines here......sorry.

But in general, if you have an overheat (it's very hard to distinguish between a serious overheat and one that isn't so!) and have to pull the head, it's worth it to take the head to a machine shop for them to verify it for straightness and cracks before you reinstall it. Putting in a new thermostat is never a bad idea. Unless you feel that the water pump was a "root cause" of an overheat, it wouldn't have to be replaced, but if it's older, changing it out would not be a bad idea either as long as you're tearing things apart....
Good advice.^^^^ I've heard the 4.7 is notorious for bhg. Find an upgrade for the gasket, and fasteners too.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Thanks for the info really nice forum