Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

head check

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Default head check

alright so im in the process now of slowly building a stroker engine, ive got a block from a 99 and the head from a 00, this is another motor not the one in my jeep, since my jeep is my dd i cant really do that haha...ok on to the question, im gonna take the time to polish the head and smooth it all out and im kind of at a dilemma, since my jeep has coil packs i have to use a head from a 00+ cause they have the bolt holes for the coil packs, well since these heads are prone to cracking, even though ive never had such thing happen to my jeep in 140k miles, but still the fact that it could happen is there, now my dilemma, should i just use this head and port it out and all that or buy a new head, i dont really wanna spend the money on a new head if im gonna just gonna take a dremel and air grinder to it anyways, but on the other hand i dont wanna take all this time on this one to have it crack on me as soon as i get it running any ideas?

ps my super crazy way wayyy back up plan is getting an aluminum cylinder head from hesco haha

just realized this should probably be in advanced tech, sorry, if a mod wants to move it be my guest!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

Originally Posted by cherokeeaddiction23
alright so im in the process now of slowly building a stroker engine, ive got a block from a 99 and the head from a 00, this is another motor not the one in my jeep, since my jeep is my dd i cant really do that haha...ok on to the question, im gonna take the time to polish the head and smooth it all out and im kind of at a dilemma, since my jeep has coil packs i have to use a head from a 00+ cause they have the bolt holes for the coil packs, well since these heads are prone to cracking, even though ive never had such thing happen to my jeep in 140k miles, but still the fact that it could happen is there, now my dilemma, should i just use this head and port it out and all that or buy a new head, i dont really wanna spend the money on a new head if im gonna just gonna take a dremel and air grinder to it anyways, but on the other hand i dont wanna take all this time on this one to have it crack on me as soon as i get it running any ideas?

ps my super crazy way wayyy back up plan is getting an aluminum cylinder head from hesco haha

just realized this should probably be in advanced tech, sorry, if a mod wants to move it be my guest!

You can use any head (except Renix) but you would have to fab up some brackets to mount the coils with but not really that big of a deal. BTW, the hesco head already has the bosses to mount the coil packs .

Its up to you, you can get a heaed from the jy for less than $100
Old 03-22-2011, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by fishtaconc
You can use any head (except Renix) but you would have to fab up some brackets to mount the coils with but not really that big of a deal. BTW, the hesco head already has the bosses to mount the coil packs .

Its up to you, you can get a heaed from the jy for less than $100
yeah i would have to drill and tap holes in the head most likely, im sure i can make a bracket too, the hesco head is awesome haha, i want that thing so bad but it costs about as much as the stroker kit im gonna get haha, but it could possibly be in the plans, it depends on the funds, i know that newer wrangler heads will work, like i think its 03 or 04 is when they fixed the head casting issue, i might just try to make it work with this one for now
Old 03-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Cherokee

I would buy a 03 or newer 4.0 head from a Wrangler or a Grand to save money, or go with an Alabama Cylinder Heads 4.0 head and you will be safe either way. Probably $100 to $200 for the used head or $528 to your door for the heavier casted, better for porting Alabama Cylinder head. Im porting and polishing my Red 99s 4.0 head, and am 1/3 done so far(#1 and #2 intake and exhaust). Takes ALOT of time with only a Dremel, but probably cant hurt important surfaces as much if it gets away from you as an Air grinder would. Just DONT hit any valve seats! That would suck, and knock on wood ive got to be careful with the remaining work Ive got to do to mine.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 84zmyfavorite
I would buy a 03 or newer 4.0 head from a Wrangler or a Grand to save money, or go with an Alabama Cylinder Heads 4.0 head and you will be safe either way. Probably $100 to $200 for the used head or $528 to your door for the heavier casted, better for porting Alabama Cylinder head. Im porting and polishing my Red 99s 4.0 head, and am 1/3 done so far(#1 and #2 intake and exhaust). Takes ALOT of time with only a Dremel, but probably cant hurt important surfaces as much if it gets away from you as an Air grinder would. Just DONT hit any valve seats! That would suck, and knock on wood ive got to be careful with the remaining work Ive got to do to mine.
haha yeah good luck man! ill have all the time in the world with it though since im sure i wont be building the motor anytime soon haha, just slowly getting parts, the reason why i wanna try to port and polish the head and take a lot of time doing it is cause when me and my stepdad put together the 470 in his cutlass we polished the heads and it made a huge difference, yeah thats a v8 but still im sure the 4.0 wouldnt mind having a better flowing head haha, plus this will be my first motor build by myself so i wanna learn some tricks from it
Old 03-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Cherokee

Ive read and been told that you dont want to grind away to much Iron from the runner floors(the bottom of each channel), as the coolant passages are right below, and could crack of it gets to thin. It works out that the majority of grinding needs to be done on the top anyway, so it works out anyway. Also be sure to port match(grind the gasket to fit runner openings). The stock gasket was blocking off nearly 3/16 of the bottom of the exhaust runners on my 99.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

Originally Posted by cherokeeaddiction23
haha yeah good luck man! ill have all the time in the world with it though since im sure i wont be building the motor anytime soon haha, just slowly getting parts, the reason why i wanna try to port and polish the head and take a lot of time doing it is cause when me and my stepdad put together the 470 in his cutlass we polished the heads and it made a huge difference, yeah thats a v8 but still im sure the 4.0 wouldnt mind having a better flowing head haha, plus this will be my first motor build by myself so i wanna learn some tricks from it
Have you been to www.jeepstrokers.com yet, there is good info on that forum, especially the compression calculator. Dont get too crazy with the porting you can have too much of a good thing. Good Luck
Old 03-23-2011, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by fishtaconc
Have you been to www.jeepstrokers.com yet, there is good info on that forum, especially the compression calculator. Dont get too crazy with the porting you can have too much of a good thing. Good Luck
it probably wont necessarily be as much porting as just polishing them and making them super smooth, so that way i wont take too much metal out and wont mess with the compression to much, although ive kinda figured out what i wanna do and im gonna be somewhere around the 10.5-11.0 range, so pretty high for these motors but its not gonna be a daily driver at that time anymore so ill be able to actually afford to put gas in it and all that haha