Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HD Coil Spring Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L
Default HD Coil Spring Question

Hey guys, new XJ owner here (had her about 3 weeks now). Quick question: I bought my 96 2-door a little while back and it had some mean rear-end sag. 16" driver rear and 16.5" passenger rear. So I went through the laborious ordeal of changing them out for some Crown OEM spec HD leaves from Morris4x4. http://www.jeep4x4center.com/leaf-sp...4886185ab.html

Yes, my fwd spring eye bolts seized to the bushings and they had to be cut-out... forum searching helped me get past that issue, thanks CF!

After about a week they have settled to about 18.75" on each side. Needless to say, the Jeep has a bit of a forward lean as the front is stock height @ 17.5".

Background aside, now I am in the process of trying to level the front height out. Does anyone know if the "HD" Coils http://www.jeep4x4center.com/coil-sp...-52001790.html offer stock ride height, just stiffer; or do they add ride height similar to the "HD" leaf packs?

Here's what she looked like when I bought her:

And here's what it looks like today with new leaf springs:
Name:  IMG_20120331_193014-1.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  107.9 KB
I realize it's not the same side and not a direct side-shot, but this was the only picture I had on hand when I decided to post this and it is now dark outside.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

HD springs should offer a slightly taller ride, just like with the leafs.

If your going to replace the springs, consider now if you want to lift it. Doing the HD springs will add another ~100 and then new shocks will come into play, there's another ~150. A 3-3.5 inch lift kit with full leaf packs will only end up costing you like ~300 (at most) more than what your spending now.. Idk, my .02

Last edited by VTJeep; 03-31-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
HD springs should offer a slightly taller ride, just like with the leafs.

If your going to replace the springs, consider now if you want to lift it. Doing the HD springs will add another ~100 and then new shocks will come into play, there's another ~150. A 3-3.5 inch lift kit with full leaf packs will only end up costing you like ~300 (at most) more than what your spending now.. Idk, my .02
Right now the Jeep is mainly here for traveling with the GF, kid, and 2 dogs. Really just focusing on getting all the routine things fixed to make it more road-worthy for long trips. (Why I originally opted for the HD leaf packs to help counteract sag from cargo weight). So for now, I have no immediate plans to add any considerable lift... possibly when I start my career after college and it is no longer my DD... but that is a few years down the road and spending this money now is worth it. I have already put some new OEM spec shocks on it and have those HD coils on-hand... I'm just wanting to know now if the springs will get it to near-even height before I go about putting them in... or should I return them and opt for spacers with the stock springs.

Just new to the Jeep thing and wanted to start getting some opinions before I just replace things while hoping for the best.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:51 PM
CF Veteran

Yes. HD coils will offer slightly taller than OEM height. Just like with the leafs. Understood on the DD responsibilities. Lifting can quickly evolve into bigger tires and HD steering, etc... So, yeah, keep it simple for now. For 100 bucks you can add a 2" BB to give you a little extra somethin.. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the insight, I'll just get these things thrown in this week... I'm hoping it's not near as much of an ordeal as it was to get the leaf packs in haha
Old 03-31-2012, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

It will be easier. The leafs are annoying to say the least. The front end has more to it, but is simple in its complexity, if ya know what I mean.
Any other maintenance done? New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fluids, filters..?
Old 03-31-2012, 09:29 PM

It had new plugs/wires/distributor when I got it. Changed my exhaust/intake manifold gasket, swapped my shredded motor mounts for some Brown Dogs, new tranny mount, fresh oil change with Mobil 1, swapped out power steering pressure line to fix a leak, new air filter, patched a rusted front floor pan, and put a new belt on.

Been a busy 3 weeks since I bought her... now that I have the immediate noticable concerns mostly tackled I'll go about handling the more routine stuff.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:59 AM

Year: 88, 89, 93 & 99

Swing by one afternoon if ya want and I'll help you swap them out real quick... Won't take but about an hr or so.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by HighRoller
Swing by one afternoon if ya want and I'll help you swap them out real quick... Won't take but about an hr or so.
What day works best for you? I'm in the Forestry program here at Southeastern CC and am out of class generally by 2pm. I want to put a few coats of red paint on them today to make it look a littler cooler, but tomorrow or Wednesday would work for me. I definitely appreciate the offer... the leaf springs were a 4-day affair with all the nonsense that went wrong. Just let me know if Tues/Wed works for you and I'll be sure to bring you some brews for the help!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:32 PM

Year: 88, 89, 93 & 99

wed would be good for me... I should have a short day at work that day so maybe we can start on it a little earlier. I'll drop ya a pm with my cel# and u can give me call wed when you get out of class... Cool?
Old 04-02-2012, 02:15 PM

wed would be good for me... I should have a short day at work that day so maybe we can start on it a little earlier. I'll drop ya a pm with my cel# and u can give me call wed when you get out of class... Cool?
Yup, Wed sounds good... should be out of class by 1:30. Send me a pm and I'll definitely give you a call. I'm assuming you have everything we need? And is beer an acceptable payment for your help? What kind do you prefer?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:32 AM

Big thanks to HighRoller for helping put these on! Here's how she sits now:

Now I got new shackles and some BPE's on the way to throw on next.