Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

having issues with popping noise when going into 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default having issues with popping noise when going into 4x4

I hope someone can help me. With my 2000 Jeep Laredo 4.0... So last week I was driving home I heard like something coming loose to best describe it like loosing lug nuts.tinking noise it got louder. To where it sounded like I drop a shaft or dragging something. I look under nothing. I take it to a shop near by to to get a quote and answer. I was told it was the front drive line. So I pull it I drove my jeep and with out no noise to the junk yard to pull on off a use one. . I found a limited editions jeep same front drive. Look in good shape even when pulling it off little fluid flowed from the screws flowed out. I put the replacement back on test drove in 2wd no noise cool then when I put it into 4 wheel I had like a popping noise it felt like I got stuck now the noise is back sounds like grinding but same time that lose noise it won't stop in 2wd. Now I know if if pull it off it won't do it. I'm about to do that I need to drive to work. I am afraid if I put another front drive on will it do the same. Anyone have a clue what is going on.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:07 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

You might want to check the front axle u joints.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:14 AM

Thank you I will check those are they easy to replace? Plus still now could it be in the Drive line still even with the use one I just put in.?. Because I am going to pull this one off and drive it. To see if all this goes away. I definitely will check your suggestion. I appreciate all the help here.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:17 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Could be you got a bum shaft. Did you grease all the joints before installing?
Old 05-07-2017, 11:55 AM

Yes I grease them on the end that goes into the t case. And this noise is coming from up front. After I put in the replacement put into 4w yeah got like a stuck motion then pop then the noise return as if grinding like dry no grease yeah I could got a bum drove I was thinking to.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:59 AM

I am hoping it's a bum shaft again not the T case or as you said front axle joints. This replacement cause some smoke to I immediately got it home park it. It sounded worse than one I replaced
Old 05-07-2017, 12:01 PM

I mean the one I took out sounded bad the use one is much worse. But again when put into 4 part time I remember it got like stuck pop went forward quiet for min then into 4x4 that was it bad
Old 05-07-2017, 06:04 PM

Default Update

So I took off the front drive line shaft it was on the front side completely blown the rubber boot. The shaft completely separated. The top was still in. I pulled it out the bearings where it it full of grease.. So what is causing this to happen? Bad use shaft?. The first one I took out it was on the transfer case side now the opposite any clues?