Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Have to hold gas to the floor to get it to start.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Have to hold gas to the floor to get it to start.

Hi all I have researched and am kinda lost. I have a 1995 xj wth 318,000 miles on it that would crank up perfect and get warm then you would have to hold the pedal to the floor to get her to start. Cleaned the throttle body and aic sensor put it back together and it is worse now. Have to hold gas to the floor all the time to get it to run and then sputtered when you give it gas. I am lost the battery is only a few months old and is very strong so I don't have a clue. Has been doing it for about a month now but has gotten a lot worse. Even with new dissy cap, plugs, and rotor button. Any advice would be awesome thanks.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Step 1. Check to see if theres any codes stored . Even if theres no light on ecm will store codes.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:51 PM

Okay done the key trick for the codes and got a 38 and a 55. Can't find a 38 and I guess the 55 is end of codes. Still lost. LOL!
Old 12-28-2013, 09:25 AM

Smile

Okay so here's the story. Took the throttle body off and cleaned it along with both sensors that was on it. Just wiped off the tps a little. Put everything back together. Had to hold the gas to the floor to get it to crank. Revved the gas some and it would pause then catch up. It would idle perfect. It was late so I called it a night. Got up went outside it fired off perfectly. Let it run for awhile then I wiggled the coolant sensor wire on the front of the engine and it seemed to idle down just a little bit. Then I unplugged the tps and it jumped a little then was fine. Plugged it back in did the same thing and was fine again. So i figured that if I take it for a short drive when I get back a day shut it off I will be back to holding the pedal to the floor to get it to run. So I did that got back shut it off for a minute and went to restart it and it fired off beautifully. So by now I am thinking WTH! I have cranked it 5 times all morning and it runs perfect. I am guessing that this is not a permanent fix but have narrowed it down to the tps or the coolant sensor or maybe a possession. Either way she is running awesome for now. Gotta love a jeep!!

Last edited by reddheadnla; 12-28-2013 at 09:30 AM.