Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hatch ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 01:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Hatch ?

my 95 xj's hatch wont open and rite now im trying to pull the inside panel off but it wont budge. any help on how to get the panel off enough to get it open Thanks
Old 12-04-2010, 01:57 PM
CF Veteran

anyone?
Old 12-04-2010, 02:37 PM
CF Veteran

wow nobody?
Old 12-04-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Well google/ forum search may help. But The plastic cover for your hatch should be held on by clips. Just pop the clips off and you can manually open the hatch with the opening mechanism inside.

Edit: It could just be frozen shut if you store it outside or below freezing also
Old 12-04-2010, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

it was the same way in the summer too
Old 12-04-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepjunky
it was the same way in the summer too
Yeah I have never tore into my hatch before, but from what I have read, just be careful not to break to many of the clips that hold the plastic cover on. Not sure where the clips are located though
Old 12-04-2010, 02:54 PM
CF Veteran

ya im just havin a hard time trying to get them off the clips
Old 12-04-2010, 02:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix
Default Hatch

Yes the hatch can be an sob, held by 4 screws at top and bottom corners, hidden within the fuzz covering, those screws need to come out.
I didn't worry too much about the plastic clips. just pulled her open, had to poke the mechanism with a screw driver to pop the latch. I then used expanding thread inserts where the plastic clips used to be, the clips are junk, fender washers on the screws, and the original 4 corner screws, the pannel is held on secure, much more solid for the speakers vibrations.
The latch I lubed like crazy, very light, light oil or white lithium grease, will stay soft in cold climate. Pulled the electric latch actuator, dissassembled, cleaned up and reassembled, it still works, not very strong actuation but works, have never been able to get my key tumblers to loosen up, they are pooched. keep the lube in regularly. It's still a pain to get open but keep a cool head and don't get too rammy, Good luck.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:57 PM

here is a walkthrough for you http://www.wikiautorepair.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(All)_-_Rear_Hatch_Stuck_Closed,_Won't_Open
Old 12-04-2010, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by peep
Yes the hatch can be an sob, held by 4 screws at top and bottom corners, hidden within the fuzz covering, those screws need to come out.
I didn't worry too much about the plastic clips. just pulled her open, had to poke the mechanism with a screw driver to pop the latch. I then used expanding thread inserts where the plastic clips used to be, the clips are junk, fender washers on the screws, and the original 4 corner screws, the pannel is held on secure, much more solid for the speakers vibrations.
The latch I lubed like crazy, very light, light oil or white lithium grease, will stay soft in cold climate. Pulled the electric latch actuator, dissassembled, cleaned up and reassembled, it still works, not very strong actuation but works, have never been able to get my key tumblers to loosen up, they are pooched. keep the lube in regularly. It's still a pain to get open but keep a cool head and don't get too rammy, Good luck.
thanks for that and i just got the cover off by just ripping the damn thing off, broke every single clip off but now im not sure of what to do next cuz i dont know what looking at
Old 12-04-2010, 04:30 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 I6

I had this happen to me too. There's a bunch of posts on this if you search for it, that's where I found my info. As you found out, you can't take the panel off with the hatch closed, unless you just break everything. Once it's off, sit in the cargo area and pull the hatch ALMOST all the way closed. Look down into it with a flashlight (at the latch assembly) and pull on the outside handle. This should show you how it works, and should show you where it's failing. On mine, the nut holding the handle on was loose. I tightened it up, lubed everything, and I'm good to go. Give it a shot, and search...
Old 12-11-2010, 04:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

For all who can get their hatch open, now would be a great time to pull the cover a lube the heck out of the locking mechanism.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 4.0l

I just had mine apart today. It's been a week since I could get the hatch open (I kep't trying and finally it opened).

The panel has screws across the top and 1/2 way down on the edge. The center of the panel is on with those christmas tree fasteners. If you start in the center at the bottom of the window, you could probably use a pry bar to pop them loose. Use some blocks of wood as wedges. You'll need a small hand to reach in there, but you could probably grab the latch.

These are pics I took of the backside of the latch. Maybe it will help to see what you need to pull on to unlatch the hatch.
Attached Images     
Old 12-11-2010, 05:01 PM
CF Veteran

on the 96 and older ones they r different cuz they dont have that threaded rod
Old 12-11-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by Jeepjunky
on the 96 and older ones they r different cuz they dont have that threaded rod
DOH!!! I should'a read the OP's info a little closer. Yeah this is for 97-99.

Sorry

Quick Reply: Hatch ?