Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hardwire Electric Fan

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Hardwire Electric Fan

Was wondering if anyone has any new ideas, updates, or photos on hardwiring the factory electric fan to a interior switch.. have the 98 constant on/off issue from the ac/defrost.. also want to have a little more control over temp at start up in the winter... not to mention one cannot have enough lighted switches...
Old 11-04-2009, 01:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988

If you do a search on here about it. You will pull up several articles about it.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Liter L6

Helped a friend fix up a setup like that on his 88... biggest thing is to use a good gauge wire and a relay to carry the higher amps to the fan rather than running it through the switch alone, also use a switched circuit inside so that it will turn off when the ignition is off
Old 11-04-2009, 01:26 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 litre

I have my elecctric fan wired up to a switch underneath my steering wheel and with that I can keep my fan on even after I turn the ignition off. (helps keep the motor cool after hard offroading) I wouldnt even think about changing mine back to automatic on/off, I will stick to turning the fan on with a switch keeps my motor a little cooler and works great even after sinking it deep in mud. All I did is run my wire from my fan to my switch and ran the positive wire from the switch to my fuse panel under my steering wheel there is a fuse for the interior lights to the left of that fuse there is a blank open port, just put an end on your wire and plug it in and turn on and off I love it
Old 11-04-2009, 01:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by 89cherokeelimited
I have my elecctric fan wired up to a switch underneath my steering wheel and with that I can keep my fan on even after I turn the ignition off. (helps keep the motor cool after hard offroading) I wouldnt even think about changing mine back to automatic on/off, I will stick to turning the fan on with a switch keeps my motor a little cooler and works great even after sinking it deep in mud. All I did is run my wire from my fan to my switch and ran the positive wire from the switch to my fuse panel under my steering wheel there is a fuse for the interior lights to the left of that fuse there is a blank open port, just put an end on your wire and plug it in and turn on and off I love it

Or, with the older renix jeeps like my 89 and your 89 you can simply run a jumper switch into the coolant temp sensor for the fan. That way it will still come on automatically when it gets too hot, you can switch it on whenever you want, and it will not run when you turn the key to the off position so you dont kill your battery. Thats how I did mine and I love it. Also, this way it runs through the factory wiring harness and through the relay thats already there for it. All the switch does is close a simple low amp relay circuit, kicking the fan on. I am looking for a way to wire up my girlfriends 96 since the non renix jeeps dont have the same sensor and its not as simple, so I will be following this thread...

Sorry for the long post,
Dylan
Old 11-04-2009, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

You could just find the fan relay, tap into the power on the control side and connect it to a ignition controlled switch in the cab. The relay would act normal until you throw the switch (keeping the fan on constantly). This way you have no excess relays or heavy gauge wire and you cant leave it on.

I know what im doing this weekend.

Just remember that a standard automotive toggle switch is only rated at 15 amps and the fan probably pulls 25 amps. It only takes about .5 amps to trigger a relay.