Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hard starting. 90 Jeep XJ

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hard starting. 90 Jeep XJ

I was having trouble with my battery going dead. It seems it was my starter going bad.

I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 and air conditioning.

The starter still seemed to work fine. I pulled it and they tested it as good. I don't think they checked it under a load for how many amps it was drawing.

Anyway it this whole thing started out like old times.

I remember having starting problems before. I would finally break down and buy a new battery. It would be fine for a little bit then I would have to replace the alternator.

That would fix it.

Years went by and then I went through the process again. New battery...then new alternator.

This time was pretty much the same. New battery and it started up pretty good for a while.

Then it was back!

It would start, starting harder and harder.

The alternator was charging. Still pulled it and had it checked.

I read a good thread on parasitic power drains and I did those test all wrong. Still I got it close enough to think I was okay.

I also came across a thread where some guy said that when the starters started getting old they would start drawing about 5 times more power than they should.

Anyway that seems like it. I put in a new starter and it cranks over easy and fast like I can't remember it doing. What ever it is drawing to start now, the alternator is able to recharge with no problem even running with the lights on.

Only 22 years out of it, I think. I didn't open up the solenoid to see what it looked like but it must have been pretty splattered inside. A friend mentioned they also have brushes and and armature that wear.

Anyway I figured there are a few more people out there with starters coming due. But still sort of working. Sort of.

P.S. I wanted to post and quote using the Starter drawing five times what it should but I still can't find the thread to even link to it.

Last edited by StokeyBob; 06-05-2012 at 09:34 PM.