Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

hard start / rough idle solved

Old 06-26-2014, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cyl 4.0
Default hard start / rough idle solved

So I read lots of threads searching for an answer to my problem. It's a '99 Cherokee 4.0

It had been giving signs of rough idle off and on. I thought fuel injectors. Before I could get to it, the damn thing eventually wouldn't start.

It's my son's vehicle so I didn't experience the issues, only his reports.

We dragged it to my house and I start researching possible answers. The big two from what I gleaned in the forums seemed to be fuel pump or CPS. I wasn't getting spark, and the plugs were dry so I figured CPS. $87 later not the answer. I changed the battery, plugs, plug wires, coil, distributor cap, and rotor ( it needed all this stuff anyway). The car started, but it was a difficult start (still thinking fuel issues). The fuel pump was priming, so I ruled that out. And there was pressure at the valve on the fuel rail, and although I couldn't guage the pressure I figured it was sending fuel. It seemed like a pretty good pressure pushing out.

After starting it wouldn't idle; had to double pedal to keep it running. I took it out for a drive and I noticed that after putting it in gear it idled fine . That was weird.

I brought it up to autozone for an OBD scan. It spit out the P1694 code. Well damn. That's not definitive.

So I call my son and tell him he can pick up the car. He'd just have to double pedal it out of the drive and then it should be okay. Get your *** to work, and we'll clean the injectors when you have the time. We'll keep looking into it.

Well he comes to pick it up, but it won't start. Geezuzz. I get er started and it continues to idle fine after I get her in gear. But that rough start is not acceptable. It'll kill the battery in short time. I took out the IAC and cleaned it. I don't know how to troubleshoot the ****er. I was afraid to play with the TPS cuz I don't know how to readjust it, and I left it alone.

I was at the end of my ability. It seemed it was gonna be forever for me to figure it out (and just throwing money at it), so I surrendered and brought it to the pros.

The IAC was shot. And he said that it was shorting out a fuse. So after another $265 it's fixed.

I just thought I'd share my story in case it helps someone out there.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Well I am glad to hear you got it going..
I know it gets frustrating at times butI will never go back to a mechanic..

I have enough know how now that I feel theres nothing on my jeep I can't fix myself... I would rather throw parts at it instead of give my $$$ to a mechanic...

Just my thoughts,

Good Job Man...

Ant...
The following users liked this post:
Lucky2BHere (01-25-2023)