Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hard to put it gear, popping/pulling out of gear, ect.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hard to put it gear, popping/pulling out of gear, ect.

Hi, I recently bought a 1994 2.5 5 speed. It's having various transmission issues such as:

-Difficult to put in gear (first, second, reverse), really have to push, sometimes can feel the gear. It works a little better if I pump the clutch.

-To put in reverse, I have to put it in first before I put it in reverse (without releasing clutch) or else it will grind into gear.

-While freeway driving, let's say I am shifting from 3rd to 4th, the clutch will either: A) Not work [press the clutch in, feels like I'm trying to pull it out of gear without the clutch in] B) Sometimes stick and engage and disengage at 1/8th of the range off the the pedal, compared to the normal 1/2. (engages at the floor basically instead of halfway up).

-Tapping/ticking in 1st-3rd (rarely in 4th too) only happens when in gear. sounds like a valve or lifter tap, but if I were to put it in neutral and keep at the same RPMs, it's not there. Happens most frequently when first started/cold.

-Say I'm doing 4k RPMS (no tach) in 1st 2nd or 3rd, if I put a little bit of force on the shifter towards neutral, they will slide out.

Yesterday, it popped out of 2nd (like, BANG - neutral) for the first time.

I know these are a lot of problems, but any advice would be awesome.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:08 PM

Year: 1984
Engine: 4 cyl

could be a worn throwout bearing, synchros, etc. Have you checked gear lube level in the manual?
Old 10-09-2014, 12:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

yeah you are gonna be into the trans or swapping the trans soon... also check clutch master cylinder for leaks inside and out, fluid level, and slave for leaks...
Old 10-09-2014, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are in gear and it comes out. It's the syncros. Regardless of other issues.

Cost wise it's probably better to get another tranny unless you rebuild it yourself. It's not difficult but you need a 20+ ton 2 jaw gear puller. Measuring tools and a toaster oven. Not joking on the toaster oven. It's actually a tool on some standard transmissions.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:49 PM

I have not checked the manual about the gear lube. There's no leaks anywhere, no air in the system. I figured the tranny was just on the way out, but I'm by no means an expert so I figured I'd make sure.
I read that an ax15 out of a Dakota will bolt up, no? I plan on putting ax-15 in when the trans goes then probably 4.0 swapping it when the engine does.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:54 PM

Year: 1984
Engine: 4 cyl

did you end up checking the lube level?
Old 11-19-2014, 01:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like there are a couple things going on. Worn/damaged synchronizer rings will result in it getting kicked out of gear and difficulty getting in gear. If the clutch throw out bearing is worn it may not fully disengage when the pedal is pushed all the way down. If the clutch fluid line has a bit of air in it, or the master and/or slave cylinders are worn then the clutch may not fully disengage making shifting difficult.

Those aren't the only possibilities either...