Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Happy wife Happy Life?

Old 11-28-2013, 03:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Happy wife Happy Life?

My wife just joined the Jeep world. That being said I am now responsible for every "scary sound" that there is and many other things. However... the door lock cylinders are seizing up and sometimes it takes a lot of finagling to finally break them free. I have tried using some Kroil rust penetrant but no luck. any suggestions or should I just replace them. Thanks!
Old 11-28-2013, 03:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Just replace them.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Seasoned Member

that sucks. Was hoping for a better solution haha. I know this is a common thing but I have never had it this bad. Off to autozone I suppose
Old 11-28-2013, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by 4.slow95
that sucks. Was hoping for a better solution haha. I know this is a common thing but I have never had it this bad. Off to autozone I suppose
Spray silicone or white lithium grease stick plastic straw that comes with them right in key hole and spray it then work them back and fort. May take a few times but it works.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:26 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by freegdr
Spray silicone or white lithium grease stick plastic straw that comes with them right in key hole and spray it then work them back and fort. May take a few times but it works.
Yup.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:14 PM

Is this a recent development in the cold? If yes then you may have some water freezing up in there. Had that happen on an old pickup. Lubed them up and it made no difference until I got the water out.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by JDHDrum
Is this a recent development in the cold? If yes then you may have some water freezing up in there. Had that happen on an old pickup. Lubed them up and it made no difference until I got the water out.
yes and no. they were always kind of sticky but now they have almost completely seized up in the colder weather. How did you get the water out??? and I will certainly try the lithium grease.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98

yes and no. they were always kind of sticky but now they have almost completely seized up in the colder weather. How did you get the water out??? and I will certainly try the lithium grease.
I sprayed a ton of Brake cleaner into my locks, followed by silicone spray. Seemed to do the trick in my case.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
I sprayed a ton of Brake cleaner into my locks, followed by silicone spray. Seemed to do the trick in my case.
well then... haha I will give it a go. thanks!
Old 11-28-2013, 09:33 PM

Heated up the key and inserted it into the lock. Did this a couple times to thaw it out so I could get in the truck. Pulled the cylinders out of the door then baked them in the oven to dry them out. Lubed them up real good with Silicone lube and reassembled everything. Every year after that I just make sure I spray some lube in there before the weather turns cold and haven't had a problem since. I don't know if that is the best or easiest way to do it, but it worked for me. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987

Is the key a copy or the original? Sometimes a bad copy or a worn original will stop turning smoothly. It also seems (at least for me) that the ignition cylinder is more tolerant of bad keys than the door locks are so it may seem like a door cylinder problem.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:07 AM

Year: 2000

did this a few times with good results.

spray brakekleen into keyhole. not much is needed. just enough to spray out any water that might be in there.
give a few minutes to make sure its all evaporated out. prolly doesn't take that long. brakekleen evaporates pretty quick.
next spray a small amount of a product called "lock-ease" i think you can get it at napa. but basically it is a graphite compound with different brands at different stores.
then work your key in and out and cycle the lock a few times.

this has worked for me many times. but the stuff is a little messy so try not to use too much or the next day you will see a black nasty liquid running down your door.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Graphite compound doesn't seize up in cold weather like grease does.

That said, I have had good success with PB Blaster.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

However... the door lock cylinders are seizing up and sometimes it takes a lot of finagling to finally break them free. I have tried using some Kroil rust penetrant but no luck. any suggestions or should I just replace them. Thanks!
If the weather flap is missing on the escutcheon you are better off just replacing. Without the flap it's impossible to keep the water out, which of course will always freeze solid.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:27 AM

Year: 2000

yes well said about the weather flap. absolutely correct. and i love pb blaster but i am hesitant on using on something that im not taking apart. that stuff will eat away at any kind of seal or anything inside there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Happy wife Happy Life?