Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

growling in 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default growling in 2wd

I got my TC pretty much rebuilt when I had the SYE installed. They also sugested a 6 planetary spider gear ( correct me if I got it wrong ), so I thought it was a good idea. Ever since I got it back it keeps making a growling sound. At first I thought it just needed to be shimed but the mechanics told me the rear pinion angle was good. I'll be taking it back but I would like to have some ideas and opinions as to what in the TC could cause this. It growls at all speeds from start to stop. Any input would be appreciated, thanx.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:33 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 High Output

try changing the gear oil in your differential. I did mine this past weekend and the s**t that came out was the consistency of watered down used motor oil. now my fill plug doesnt leak anymore. if you dont feel like taking the cover off and replacing the gasket, take a turkey baster and about a foot of clear tubing and suck that old nasty crap out and refill with fresh gear oil.

edit: make sure whoever rebuilt your t-case put atf in it and not gear oil. a buddy of mine took his to a tranny shop and the idiots refilled his t-case with gear oil and f-ed it up pretty good, needless to say the bought him a new t-case

Last edited by rdeskater; 04-16-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:37 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by 98xjeeper
I got my TC pretty much rebuilt when I had the SYE installed. They also sugested a 6 planetary spider gear ( correct me if I got it wrong ), so I thought it was a good idea. Ever since I got it back it keeps making a growling sound. At first I thought it just needed to be shimed but the mechanics told me the rear pinion angle was good. I'll be taking it back but I would like to have some ideas and opinions as to what in the TC could cause this. It growls at all speeds from start to stop. Any input would be appreciated, thanx.
Make sure they put in Dextron 111 tranny fluid in there instead of gear oil...Tj
Old 04-16-2010, 03:37 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by rdeskater
try changing the gear oil in your differential. I did mine this past weekend and the s**t that came out was the consistency of watered down used motor oil. now my fill plug doesnt leak anymore. if you dont feel like taking the cover off and replacing the gasket, take a turkey baster and about a foot of clear tubing and suck that old nasty crap out and refill with fresh gear oil.

edit: make sure whoever rebuilt your t-case put atf in it and not gear oil. a buddy of mine took his to a tranny shop and the idiots refilled his t-case with gear oil and f-ed it up pretty good, needless to say the bought him a new t-case
LOL we posted the same answer at the same time...Tj
Old 04-16-2010, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

maybe a driveshaft u-joint.
sometimes when you change the angle of the driveshaft, the u-joints don't like the new angle and will give you vibes.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:29 PM

Year: 1998

I noticed the rear plug on the diff is leaking a bit so I'll change the oil. I never thought that the wrong fluid in the TC could make it growl. I did tell them to put in dexron 3 but that does'nt mean they did, so I'll check for myself. As for the u-joints the rear are all new and the front look really good. Thanks guys for all your advice.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:13 AM

Engine: 4.0 High Output

definetly swap out that gear oil in the diffy. that thin old oil is what caused my plug to leak, fresh gear oil in her and no more leaky plug