Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Grinding clunking in rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Grinding clunking in rear

Alright, I have a 96 XJ Sport. There is a grinding noise coming from the rear. Kind of constant sounding but as I slow down under 25 then it slows down. Sounds like metal on metal. My leaf springs are shot. Pretty much negative arch. And when Im cruising @45 and accelerate a little and quickly let off the gas there is a clunk. Now I can feel my rear rise when I get on the gas and when I let off the rear sags back down. So I know the leaves are wrapping up cause they are so worn. I also have a pinion seal leak. Im wondering if the wrapping up of the springs is killing my pinion bearings or the u joints. I have grabbed the drive shaft and shook it, no play but I haven't checked u joints with a prybar yet. Just wondering if anyone has had the same issue or who knows what it is. Thanks. I have changed the wheel bearings a few months ago, thinking that was it.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:10 AM

you may have a bad pinion bearing. My jeep did the same thing and I ended up tracing it to the pinion bearing. At normal driving speed I could take my foot of the gas and return it and get a nasty clunk and I would constantly hear a grinding noise from below the rear seat area while driving. I found it when I changed the rear diff. fluid and it looked like glitter was in the oil from all the metal in the oil. Not cheap if that is the case.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:33 AM

yeah I pull the covere and take a lookskie.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:14 AM

Yeah when I changed the wheel bearings a few months ago there was no metal in the gear lube, but it was pretty nasty. I will pull the cover this weekend and take a look. If anything Im gonna change the pinion seal and order up some leaves from quadratec. Thanks, your problem sounds just like mine, grinding from under the rear seat. I'll check it out.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

could be a drive shaft, my front one went out and made the worst noise ivve ever heard so i took it out and its all good now
Old 09-16-2009, 11:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

Take a look at your drive line,make sure your axle isn't move around also.Look at your tranny mount to.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:08 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 6cyl

I'm having the same exact problem now. It is not the U joints... it is 99% most likely the rear end. Either a bearing or something is shot, and when you let off the gas, is releasing the torque in the shaft allowing the play and its effects take place. when you get back on the gas, the grinding stops, because its got tension again, and torque. but yes it can be a very violent noise, as im experiencing it right now lol... Going to just take a look at the diff fluid, if nothing abnormal, than swap the entire axle with the dana 35 i have sittin at the shop.. Let me know if you figure out exactly what it was and how you fixed it