Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

got the jeep sickness

Old 11-29-2008, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default got the jeep sickness

hello to the jeep world from Indiana, i currentyly bought some new tires. I have all stock 2000 cherokee, and l am looking to put my new 31/10.5/15 tires on, and i need to help. I just don't know where to start! do i need to do a body lift first to get the tires on or should i do the suspension. I am on a limited budget, and i am going to do the work my self, except the mount and balence of the new tires.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

suspension you can fit 31"s with about 2 to 3 inches no prob just some minor rubbing, no body lift available since the XJ has no frame its a unibody, if you have a limited budget talk to Howler_GT for his front spacer and get some Rough Country 2"Shackles of ebay about 45 bucks.. 52 with shipping
Old 11-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

welcome from ky
Old 11-29-2008, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 01
Engine: 4.0L I6

yeah no body lift's here haha. can't lift a unibody. but just start with what kinda wheelin you wanna do. and whether or not it's your DD. most times for 31's you need at least 3" of lift, but im sure it can be done with about 2-2.5" with a lot of trimming, then you have quite limited flex. you can do 2-2.5" of lift and clear 30's, but are you absolutely set on running 31's? and since your on a limited budget, most jeeps need an SYE for 3+" of lift.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992

im doin the same thing on my 92 xj. i got a set for 31x10.50s for one hell of a deal so i trimmed the fenders back and im gettin ready to do a 3 inch homebrewed lift. i am also on a limited budget. im usin s10 sprinds in the back and grand cheroke springs in the front with a 1.5 inch spacer. im gonna use monero gasmatic shocks that are about 20 bucks a piece and im using wrangler brake lines in the rear. the whole lift is only gonna cost bout $225 hope that helps good luck
Old 11-30-2008, 01:00 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

2 in. lift you could do with v8 zj front coils and aal's from an s-10 or cherokee - both from a junkyard. that should fit 30x10.50s; a little fender trimming should get you to
31x10.50s
Old 11-30-2008, 06:45 AM
Short Bus Motorsports

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Welcome glad to see another Hoosier. Northern IN here. I ran 30's on my XJ stock and 31's work great with a 3". The 30's stock were ok for street but rub like hell offroad
Old 11-30-2008, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

With 3" of lift you are going to have to consider your rear brake line.

You can go with a longer TJ? brakeline.
And cross your fingers that the steel lines don't kink and brake then go thru the process of bleeding the brakes.
And cross your fingers that the bleeders don't bind up and snap.

Or you can try HSP's Brakeline Extender. No messing with opening up the brake system. Simple bolt-in application for 84-01 Wagoneers/Cherokees
Check my Vendors Showcase thread for more info/pics.

Also, I supply 2" STEEL coil spring spacers. PLUS, I also take orders for custom lengths.

With a 2000, you are almost definately going to have to address your driveline.
With either a SYE or mild TC drop.
A TC drop is an inexpensive stop-gap until you can afford a SYE. But it is not uncommon for many of us to retain the TC drop for an extended period of time.

Because of the steering geometry of the XJ's front-end, several items will need to come into play.
1. Trackbar:
Any lifted XJ will need to have the tracking of the front axle reset. Up to 2" (Usually a BB) tracking is not affected to severely.
Any lift above that the axle tracks quite badly. Adjustable trackbar can be purchased to bring tracking back into a comfortable range. Or you can redrill the axle-end mounting hole.
Redrilling is a good option if you are A) Not going any higher with lift. B) Have tracking perfectly set.
If the answers to A & B are both NO...adjustable trackbar is your best bet.

2. Stock front-end components.
The condition of the remaining front-end components must be checked and ANY "marginal" items replaced with NEW. This will help fend off the dreaded DEATH WOBBLE"

3. Alignment.
Do this only AFTER you are satisfied with Lift Height, Tracking, and front-end integrity. Why after? How many times do you want to see your XJ up on the rack and hand over $XX to alignment shop to get it down?

3" of lift will allow 31's to fit nicely with some minor flare/fender trimming. Mostly at the corners. BUT this depends greatly on your choice of rims and thier backspacing.

Whew.... thats it..
Stepping down off this rather uncomfortable soapbox.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:33 AM
CF Veteran

damn Howler you have become a full sales man,, nice
Old 04-11-2009, 02:12 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Howler_GT
With 3" of lift you are going to have to consider your rear brake line.

You can go with a longer TJ? brakeline.
And cross your fingers that the steel lines don't kink and brake then go thru the process of bleeding the brakes.
And cross your fingers that the bleeders don't bind up and snap.

Or you can try HSP's Brakeline Extender. No messing with opening up the brake system. Simple bolt-in application for 84-01 Wagoneers/Cherokees
Check my Vendors Showcase thread for more info/pics.

Also, I supply 2" STEEL coil spring spacers. PLUS, I also take orders for custom lengths.

With a 2000, you are almost definately going to have to address your driveline.
With either a SYE or mild TC drop.
A TC drop is an inexpensive stop-gap until you can afford a SYE. But it is not uncommon for many of us to retain the TC drop for an extended period of time.

Because of the steering geometry of the XJ's front-end, several items will need to come into play.
1. Trackbar:
Any lifted XJ will need to have the tracking of the front axle reset. Up to 2" (Usually a BB) tracking is not affected to severely.
Any lift above that the axle tracks quite badly. Adjustable trackbar can be purchased to bring tracking back into a comfortable range. Or you can redrill the axle-end mounting hole.
Redrilling is a good option if you are A) Not going any higher with lift. B) Have tracking perfectly set.
If the answers to A & B are both NO...adjustable trackbar is your best bet.

2. Stock front-end components.
The condition of the remaining front-end components must be checked and ANY "marginal" items replaced with NEW. This will help fend off the dreaded DEATH WOBBLE"

3. Alignment.
Do this only AFTER you are satisfied with Lift Height, Tracking, and front-end integrity. Why after? How many times do you want to see your XJ up on the rack and hand over $XX to alignment shop to get it down?

3" of lift will allow 31's to fit nicely with some minor flare/fender trimming. Mostly at the corners. BUT this depends greatly on your choice of rims and thier backspacing.

Whew.... thats it..
Stepping down off this rather uncomfortable soapbox.
just put on a three in lift with full leafs only problem i had was driveline vibration three degree shims and rusty's tc drop crossbar fixed it no brakeline steering tracking problems
Old 04-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.o

Floppy, welcome to the forum. Where at in Indiana are you?