Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Got a few questions before a trip

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default Got a few questions before a trip

So, I'm gettin ready to replace the harmonic balancer, front seal, and upper rad hose on my 91 XJ so I can run a couple hours south a pick up a riding mower. I just have a few q's to make sure I don't blow up along the way. First off, the mechanic told me I need to replace my coil springs (mainly the front right) because the front right popped one day, took it to him, and he just said replace it. Does this need replaced before I go on this trip? Also, my valve cover seal has a very minor leak (i need to replace 1 qt of oil every 520 miles). Should I be alright? Lastly, can my Jeep haul a standard size riding mower with no issue? Should I keep a certain speed, gear (automatic), anything else? Thanks everyone.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

you will be fine with those problem i hauled a 29 foot aluminum pontoon boat was a pai in the ***** but could still go 65 before wobbling youll oil should be fine just keep an eye on it idk about your coil tho
Old 04-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

what was the reason he said to replace the coil? Just because it popped or is it worn or broken? maybe off of the mount? And are you sure the pop was your coil?
Old 04-26-2010, 12:10 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
So, I'm gettin ready to replace the harmonic balancer, front seal, and upper rad hose on my 91 XJ so I can run a couple hours south a pick up a riding mower. I just have a few q's to make sure I don't blow up along the way. First off, the mechanic told me I need to replace my coil springs (mainly the front right) because the front right popped one day, took it to him, and he just said replace it. Does this need replaced before I go on this trip? Also, my valve cover seal has a very minor leak (i need to replace 1 qt of oil every 520 miles). Should I be alright? Lastly, can my Jeep haul a standard size riding mower with no issue? Should I keep a certain speed, gear (automatic), anything else? Thanks everyone.
harmonic balancer should be replaced because you don't want that to go out on you. These are inexpensive items to replace if you can do it yourself, and you should do it before a long trip. 1 qt. of oil every 520 miles is not a "very minor leak"; in fact, that is a serious leak. If you didn't fill it up and let it run out you would be out of oil just past 3,000 miles. (I know that you would not let it run out, just putting this leak into perspective.) You should fix the valve cover gasket. Just my opinion though. Towing shouldn't be a problem, if you've got the 3 speed auto, keep it in drive and go; if you've got the 4 speed w/overdrive you may want to keep it in 3 if you will be travelling up and down hills so you don't burn up OD. Have a safe trip!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks guys. Hopefully it will be a safe trip. Im scheduling to have the front seal and balancer replaced tomorrow. As for the leaking oil, Im glad someone corrected me in thinking it was minor; its just at one point i was burnin a qt every 200 miles. Does the 1 qt every 520 miles sound like what would be lost from a valve cover leak? Lord knows I don't want to find out another repair is gonna be needed. As for the coil, it went down like this. Driving to church one morning, and as im pulling out of my driveway, I heard a pop. Nothing banging afterwards, no smoke, no anything. So I took it to the shop that week(had the water pump replaced) and I told him about the pop. He told me the next day that he checked and it was my right front coil spring. He didn't what exactly it did, however I guess the only noticable thing from it is when I go over a speed bumb or bumb, it seems to make a "groan" as the wheel goes over. I know, not the best choice of words, but that's the best way I can describe it. I don't death wobble at 25 or vibrate like mad down the road, just that simple moan over a bump. Any other ideas?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:47 PM
CF Veteran

Also, about the whole what gear thing.. My Jeep has the "Power/Comfort" Tranny Switch. Should I use power during the haul?
Old 05-01-2010, 09:16 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Hmm...that's a good question. You probably could, but I would double check your towing guide in your owner's manual if you have it.